For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
Tigereyze209's profile

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

Wednesday, January 25th, 2017 9:57 PM

Sharing a story- dsl network password

I have legacy dsl internet service... I deceided to add a wi-router to my line..  well, with legacy dsl you still have the option to use your own equipment, insead of one provided by ATT.

It really was a simple install. Just plug the modem into the router, instead of the computer, then run another cable from the router to the computer.

The setup for the router was easy, also. Even had an option specifically for ADSL connections.

Alas, one problem.

I needed to enter my account name and dsl network password.

The user name is same as my e-mail, so no problem. the nework password however, was another issue.

I have it written some somewhere, and one day, may even find it again. Thought i could ge tit from my pc setup, but nope. Not available.

SO.... gave a call to att customer service at their main number.. (1-800-288-2020) and got their "personal assistant".

I will not say what i think of that assistant, except, I do not like it, one little bit. It was obviously unable to provide me with the password i needed, and trying to get to a human is an exercize in patience. (If their is a way to reach a human without a LOT of hoops, I sure was unable to find it.)

To be fair, I DID finally reach a CSR.

I told her what I wanted, and she did what she was supposed to, verifying that i was the owner of the account, instead of just providing the information.

Alas, she asked me the response to a security question that I honestly don't even remember setting.

We spent a while on that, then finally moved on to another way. (The secuirty code at the end of the phone number.)

Now here is where it got really weird..  she actually wanted me to justify why I even needed my dsl network password.

Long story short, she "eventually" gave it to me, but wanted me to go thru all kinds of tech support, line connection verification, what kind (down to make and model number of router) of router I was adding to thier line, the type of modem I was using, and on and on.

I finally told her to just give me the password, and reluctantly, she did.

Then, she wanted to make sure it worked (it did) and i guess, verify that nothing i did damaged their network? (That is only a guess.)

Anyways, after getting it, I finally just hung up on her.

Beleive me, I have it written down in several places, so I never have to call back and ask for it ever again.

My main point, it actually floored me how hard something should have been simple to do, turned into quite the fiasko.

To be fair, I have only made very few calls to customer service, and most were resolved quickly, and quite professionally.

As a parting shot, I reminded her, she forgot to do her required three customer upsale attempts. Then, just humg up.

(actually had the nerve to ask me if I would do a survey. trust me, it would not have been a good rating.)

Anyways, that was my experiance with ATT customer service, and thought i'd share.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

@Tigereyze209 Next time save yourself the trouble and send me a message 😄 Legacy DSL is kind of my thing!

Unfortunately these are the stories I read too often.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

While I do truly appreciate your offer of assistance, the main point of sharing myt experiance was to make the point, getting the help asked for should not have been such a challange.

Truth is, since the changeover to the new forum format, I have found it extremely difficult to use, and have just not been on as much as I used to be.

But, that asside, I strill try, when and where I can.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.