For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
AlanF_1's profile

Scholar

• 

189 Messages

Saturday, January 25th, 2014 2:59 PM

Perparing for Power 45 upgrade

Hi,

With the help of MorganCS I have ordered the Power 45 upgrade and a wireless reciever and have a few questions

1) Can the new NVG that is replacing the firewire RG use the same SSID name and wireless password so I don't have to reauthenticate all my wireless devices (over 20)?

2) I have poked a few holes in the firewall and allowed a few devices by mac address, is there an export /import function or do I need to go through the Firewire Rg and note all my settings that are not default?

Thanks

Alan

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, if you record your wireless security settings on the 2WIRE you can repeat them on the new RG.

Unfortunately, the same is also true with the firewall settings: you'll need to record them and reimplement them on the new RG.

Scholar

• 

189 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Yes, if you record your wireless security settings on the 2WIRE you can repeat them on the new RG.

Unfortunately, the same is also true with the firewall settings: you'll need to record them and reimplement them on the new RG.

JefferMC,

I read the online  NVG manual (3-4 pages) yesterday and it looks like the SSID name is ATTXXXXXXX where X = 7 characters tha can be any 7 and ATT is fixed. If I read that correctly it would mean I can't rename the NVG to 2WIREXXX (8) chars. Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks

Alan

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

The RG comes out of the box that way.  You can change it to anything you want.  You could have changed the 2WIRExxxx SSID as well.

Scholar

• 

189 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

The RG comes out of the box that way.  You can change it to anything you want.  You could have changed the 2WIRExxxx SSID as well.

JefferMC,

They installed today and I see how to change the SSID and PW to the same as the 2wirexxx. I changed the SSID and reset the password to the same as the 2wirexxx and when I tried to connect from a wireless device I had to enter the password again. I didn't reboot my device. My logic in changing the SSID and PW was to avoid having to reset everything. Would you expect the devices to need to enter the PW again? Is it tracking by mac address somewhere? If I need to re-enter the PW on my remote devices then I may as well use the new  SSID / PW. I thoguht about reboot everything (devices and RG) after I change the SSID and PW. I have about 15 wireless devices and some of them the interface to enter the PW is clunky.

Thanks

Alan

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

Assuming you entered the SSID exactly (case, spacing, etc) as it was on the old modem, and used the same wireless security settings (WEP vs WPA vs WPA2, etc.) your client devices shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Scholar

• 

189 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Assuming you entered the SSID exactly (case, spacing, etc) as it was on the old modem, and used the same wireless security settings (WEP vs WPA vs WPA2, etc.) your client devices shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

JefferMC,

It was the  case, the slip of paper I had from orignal install was UC w in 2Wirexxx and the rest LC, as soon as I changed it to all UC everything recognized the new gateway

Thanks

Alan

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.