For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
nabril15's profile

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 1:39 AM

ONT port on BGW210 only at 100mbps

Hello 

My ONT port on the router has both lights off, and in the broadband  status screen it shows the ethernet speed at 100mbps. The cable to the white box was supplied by the installer, so I don't know if its cat 5 or 6. If i replace it with a cat 6 cable might that jump to 1g speed?

It makes no sense that the white box is fed by fiber, but the router only connects at 100mbps to that box. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

It makes sense if that is only what you are paying for!  Look at your bill or on myAT&T to see what service you got.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you.

My service is of 50mbps. So is the wan port throttled down via software because of my service speed? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

6 years ago

I don't understand.  You have an ONT, meaning FTTP, which is available in 100, 300, 500, and 1000, yet you say you have 50 Mbps, which is a FTTN speed.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

I don't understand either, so that's why I asked.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Jeff

My service is Internet 50 which gives me up to 50mbps.i don't understand either why my wan port speed is so low. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

6 years ago

What does it matter that your WAN speed is 100 Mbps, when your service speed is 50 Mbps?  Any Ethernet speed greater than 50 Mbps is sufficient.

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

There is 50x50 FTTP

OP if you want more speed you'll have to subscribe to 100, 300, or 1000mbps.

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

I understand the question about "why have a fast wan speed if my lan speed is limited to 50mbps", but it bothers me a bit that the speed of the wan port is controlled by how fast a service I subscribe to. It should be able to negotiate at 1gb speed and then let the network have the speed of the subscribed service.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

6 years ago

My best bet is that your cable from your gateway to the ONT isn't a full Cat5e cable, it may have an issue with the 3rd or 4th pair and thus not be capable of 1000baseT. 

Tutor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Jeffer

I tried both a cat 5e and cat6 cable, a restart of the modem, and the wan port speed remained at 100mbps. 

Therefore ATT controls the port speed based on the subscribed service speed. I would like that someone from att that monitors this forum confirms this. 

It is incomprehensible to see that box on my wall have a fiber cable inout and to see the ONT port only negotiate at 100mbps. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.