For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
aniko27's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, May 17th, 2013 4:15 PM

Need to move router upstairs - do I need a tech to come install?

I have U-Verse and have been very happy with it.  I need to move my router upstairs since I am changing locations of my home office and I have to be "hard wired" into it (can't be wireless).  The office I am moving to upstairs has a Cable Jack that had a Uverse receiver plugged in (just a "regular" receiver) and a phone line.  It looks like down here in my current location there is an ethernet connection as well.  Should I just get a technician to come out and install a new one?  Or is there a way to plug another router into the cable upstairs or something?  I'm not very good with hardware, so dumb it down for me please!  Or just tell me to call a technician (I am okay with that!)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aniko27 - Hope you have trued the STB and find it works fine for you. You should not notice any degradation.

Because - Having the wire connected to the green plug tells me the RG is NOT fed coax. It is fed with the wire plugged in to the green jack. Seems like extending the wire that is behind the jack that feeds the RG would be just as difficult as running a new cat5 just for the computer (leaving the RG where it is.)

If you cannot use the STB as previously described, it may be best to have att do the move.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aniko27 - You probably do not need to move it. You can connect the same way I am. Plug the computer into the network jack on the STB that is connected COAX.

This is not officially supported, but works well for many people.

If you must move it I need to know the model umber of the RG and whether the connection from the NID is COAX or wire.

Another way to check is do you have a diplexer? A splitter like device with three COAX connections, Do you also have a splitter?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

OK - translate for me please :-).  STB - what is that?  And the connection from the "NID" - what's that?  I don't think I have a diplexer, I only see one COAX connection into the RG and into the wall (although there is an "extension" type thing on the COAX cable)  The model number (I think) is 3801HGV.  Does any of that help? 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aniko27 -
STB - what is that? - Set Top Box. The one upstairs between the wall & the TV.

Since you have a 3801 I can say you have a standard install. But, to determine if it is fed coax - look at the back of the 3801 - are both the red and green jacks empty.

This is all moot if you plug your computer into the STB that is already where you want it. Now you know what an STB is you can do that.
Do you have a cat5 cable. They are pretty inexpensive everywhere these days. But, monoprice.com is still a good source.

And the connection from the "NID" - what's that? - Network Interface Device - on the side of the house.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I really appreciate the help!

OK - so I get what you are thinking, working from the STB, that should be easy enough to try to see if it would work.  Do you know if degrades the speed any?

Anyway, I do have the Green jack with a cable in it, but the red is empty.  And it looks like the device on the outside of the house (NID) has COAX cable, with two different jacks (output and input maybe?).  Cat5 cable, is that the actual cord that I use to plug into the network card from router to computer?  Yes, I have several already hooked up. 

Told you I'm a beginner :-).  Thank you again for the help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.