For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
beeivis's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 15th, 2014 6:52 PM

Moving and Rewiring my DSL jack--will I be ok?

Hi, I want to relocate my Uverse jack & line because I don't like how the AT&T guy made the line run outside the house instead of under the house. (I wasn't here)  If I disconnect the line going into the jack so that I can pull it out of the wall going outside, will I need to make any kind of service call to re-boot it after it is re-connected? Is it safe to do this? Any tips helpful, thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@beeivis wrote:

Thanks again Geek Boy, I think I'm getting up the nerve to do this, but one last question if you don't mind.  I opened up the jack and it's pretty complicated in there, I'm not sure how the wires are even going, I'm afraid I'm going to break something.  However, going to the other end where the line goes into the phone box it seems pretty simple for a rewire--but what are these little guys called that the wires are going into? Can I buy them at Radio Shack, because there doesnt seem to be a way to open them. ??

thos connectors you showed in your photo are basically just conductors for connecting the two wires together to complete the circuit.  It's much like the larger "wire nuts" that you would use to make sure that two wires are making a good contact.  They are not re-usable, and you could get the same effect with a small wire nut/connector, if you can get one small enough for the wire conductors in the cable.  I'm sure you can buy them at a place like Radio Shack if you really want something similar to that specific style.

As for the jack end in the house, there are probably 8 wires connected (4 paris of wire twisted around each other.  That would be the standard STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) or UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) Ethernet cable.  they are fairly easy easy to connect because they are color coded, and most jacks use the same color coding as the cable (blue/blue-white, orange/orange-white, green/green-white, brown/brown-white).

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@beeivis wrote:

Hi, I want to relocate my Uverse jack & line because I don't like how the AT&T guy made the line run outside the house instead of under the house. (I wasn't here)  If I disconnect the line going into the jack so that I can pull it out of the wall going outside, will I need to make any kind of service call to re-boot it after it is re-connected? Is it safe to do this? Any tips helpful, thanks.

It is safe to do this, but do keep in mind that if you do it, and it doesn't work right after you re-connect, it will cost you a tech service call for them to roll a tech out to fix it for you.  I believe that is at least $149 but I'm not certain there.

As for the wiring, and rebooting your RG, those are all things you can do yourself if you are comfortable, and that should be all you need to do.  You moving the jack yourself isn't much different than you performing a self-install.  You would be responsible for all the wiring from the NID outside your house to the jack where the RG plugs in.  The wireing isn't too complex so you should be OK.  As I said, it may get a little pricey if you have to call a tech out to fix it, but as long as you know a little about wiring networks, you should be perfectly fine.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Geek Boy. No I don't actually know anything about wiring networks, was hoping to take a picture of how it is all put together before I take it apart and put it back together.  If some kind of reboot needs to hapen I won't know how to do that. 😞

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@beeivis wrote:

Thanks Geek Boy. No I don't actually know anything about wiring networks, was hoping to take a picture of how it is all put together before I take it apart and put it back together.  If some kind of reboot needs to hapen I won't know how to do that. 😞

With pictures (as long as they are detailed) you should be able to re-connect everything properly.

As for a "reboot" all you need to do is disconnect the power for 30 seconds then plug it back in.  You could also go to the Routers setup pages and select the option to "restart" the router.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks again Geek Boy, I think I'm getting up the nerve to do this, but one last question if you don't mind.  I opened up the jack and it's pretty complicated in there, I'm not sure how the wires are even going, I'm afraid I'm going to break something.  However, going to the other end where the line goes into the phone box it seems pretty simple for a rewire--but what are these little guys called that the wires are going into? Can I buy them at Radio Shack, because there doesnt seem to be a way to open them. ??IMG_1638.JPG

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.