For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
ali49's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 7th, 2013 9:41 PM

How to secure 2-wire Gateway from intruders

Right now my neighbors are picking up my signal, and have intruded on my privacy.  Not only neighbors, but others with foreign ID's

I just noticed I received three different e-mails where I had changed my password.  Please tell me how to secure this wireless gateway

I can do a netstat, and there will be all kinds of connections established.   How can I make my computer secure?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

120 Messages

11 years ago

Login to 192.168.1.254. That is your gateway's address.

Click on Wireless

1.png

- You may want to change the Wireless Name (SSID)

- Also, you can disable the SSID broadcast so that your gateway does not appear as an available wireless network when people search for available access points.

- Make sure that Wireless Security is enabled.

- You may want to change the authentication type as well to whatever will suit your need.

- Most importantly, you can customize your wireless password to something else.

2.png

You may also click on Status, under LAN, under Settings.

3.png

And if you scroll down a bit, you'll see the devices that are and have been connected to your gateway.

4.png

(The device IP addesses and MAC addresses have been removed on this screenshot).

Take note, however, that resetting the gateway will revert all the settings to default.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello Alice Sanders, looks like Paul Garcia provided an excellent answer. Smiley Happy I am curious however as to what you are meaning when you stated "Right now my neighbors are picking up my signal, and have intruded on my privacy.  Not only neighbors, but others with foreign ID's"

Are you referring to the list of wireless networks that appear on the list of Available Wireless Networks?

Please let us know if you still need assistance with this. I will be glad to clarify any security issues with the Residential Gateway. This thread also offers some very good information regarding the SSID Broadcast. Can I hide my u-verse modem from the public as an avialble network?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.