For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
truterUSMC's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 6th, 2017 6:08 PM

can I add a router downstairs to my gateway upstairs to help my wifi?

OK, quick rundown. I just moved into a two story rental house. AT&T connected my UVerse gateway upstairs on Monday. It was the only place they could put it. My smart TV with the firestick is downstairs. I was using wifi to connect to my gateway, but was laggy. Nothing would load on my firestick. Netflix on my smart tv worked flawlessly. I was advised to get a powerline adapter. One end is connected to my gateway via ethernet cable upstairs, and the other is plugged into my smart tv with an ethernet cable downstairs. My smart TV shows that it is hard wired...essentially.

My speed test downstairs on my computer is horrible. AT&T added a usb wireless hub on back to connect me to the gateway. I did the att.com/speedtest and  got .17 mbps download, and .05mbps upload. I reset the gateway and tried it again,2.29mbps download, and 1.12 mbps upload. 

I have my old router that I used before. It is an ASUS RT-AC56R 802.11ac wireless router. Is there any way to connect this downstairs to my gateway upstairs? I cannot run cables anywhere. I didnt know if I could plug it into my powerline adapter downstairs to boost my connection. Would it be possible and would it even help?

I thought that maybe I could hard wire my smart tv into this router downstairs would help with my lagging.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@truterUSMC

My suggestion would be to install the ASUS RT-AC56R using an Ethernet connection to the 5268ac. Once you get that all working to your satisfaction, move the ASUS RT-AC56R to the first floor unplug the Ethernet cable to your Smart TV and plug it into the WAN port of the ASUS RT-AC56R. Now you can plug another Ethernet cable into the Smart TV from the ASUS RT-AC56R. Now you have WiFi at this level of your home.

When you install the ASUS RT-AC56R off of the 5268ac, you want to implement the WAN Bridge capablility of the router.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

thank you. I will definitely give this a try. What I did up to this point, was just create another wireless network from my computer downstairs to the ASUS router downstairs. It's working, but not as strong as I feel this ASUS router should be. I'm willing to give anything a shot. Thanks

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Will this work with other ASUS routers (set up as range extenders)?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@sacramentodan

Some routers demand an Ethernet connection to the internet but if that is not an issue on your router, sure.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.