Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed myself

Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed myself

In March 2016 my 2WIRE modem supplied by AT&T became unusable and after verifying with an ATT Technician that the modem was the problem I opted to go buy a new modem at Best Buy rather than have them send one out. (Needed home connectivity restored quickly for work.) I bought the Motorola NVG589 installed it and it has worked like a charm. I expected to receive paperwork to return the 2WIRE modem but did not. The $7 equipment fee keeps showing up on my bill and I called today to try to correct the situation and after three 45-minute conversations with three different groups - customer service, tech support and billing - a billing representative informed me that there was no need to return the 2WIRE modem and that there was a $7 equipment fee just to use the new modem I had purchased whether I had purchased it or not. The explanation I was given was that the modem I had purchased would support download speeds of greater than 12 Mbps. I have a DSL plus account which is supposed to provides speeds of 18 Mbps. They rattled of a list of modems that I could purchase and get the $7 fee waived - all of them were modems that would not reliably support 18Mbps. Basically high speed modems like the Motorola N589 must be rented from AT&T. This makes absolutely no sense to me since they sell it with AT&T logo on the front in retail stores. Has anyone else run into this?  

S

Message 1 of 34
Teacher

Re: Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed my

I am sorry but not surprised to hear this. I have come to consider AT&T thieves and liars. *****

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Message 31 of 34
Teacher

Re: Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed my

I am sorry to hear this. I am also not one bit surprised. Theft and lies are part of AT&T modus operandi.

Message 32 of 34
Mentor

When ever I make a change in service with AT&T, there is always a billing problem. It took me several months to get the last one straightened out. I keep hoping that nothing breaks.

Message 33 of 34
Teacher

I never got mine straightened out. AT&T chose their hired thieves over a 26 year customer. I will be done with these thieves and liars in just a few days,

Message 34 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support