Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Suzeconnect's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 14th, 2017 1:00 AM

Netflix causes loss of connectivity from wi-fi on tv farthest from router.

I have two TVs in my home.  I have no problem with connectivity with the tv closest to the router.  The second tv, which is my main tv, but on a different floor from the router, loses connectivity with wi-fi whenever I stream Netflix.  I can see that the cable box is rebooting itself during streaming, and usually when I switch back to cable tv it’s ok, but often 

I have to reboot the modem, and occasionally it won’t reconnect.  I had AT&T boost my data to fix this problem, but it hasn’t helped.  This is one of those situations where I have contacted Sharp—the maker of my Roku TV, Netflix, and AT&T, and truth told they want the other guy to be responsive ble, while I just want to watch Netflix like everyone else!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Are you using the AT&T wireless access point to feed the two TVs?  If so, I suspect only AT&T can help you by changing the wifi channel to one that is less congested.

If you are using a RoKu box (or smart TV or smart bluray set-top with wifi) then you might be able to fix the problem by changing to a less congested channel since those devices access the modem and you can easily select the channel to use.  Access the modem with browsing to 192.168.1.254

The AT&T BGW210 modem has an option to automatically search for a less congested band.  Possibly your wifi connection on the other floor has problems with adjacent signals your closer TV does not have.  For modems that do not have that congestion feature, If you have an android phone you can download a wifi analyzer and look for a channel with good signal strength or one that is not in use and set the modem to that channel.   Unfortunately, I have not found a free wifi analyzer for my iPhone.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! I tried to have AT&T change the channel once before, and they said they couldn’t’t, but I think I need to go up higher on the technician ladder to try again. I have an iPhone too!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

You may not get anywhere with the AT&T headshed.  I have a better suggestion:   Buy a pair of powerline adapters.  Connect one to the modem and the other one to the other TV system.  If you are using that AT&T Wireless Access Point "WAP" (small rectangular box next to modem) then move that near the other TV and use the pair of power line adapters to connect the WAP back to the AT&T modem.  The WAP is a small device used to add a 3rd tv and is usually adjacent to the modem but can be on a long cord or a powerline adapter if necessary to reach a far location.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much for the great suggestion! I will definitely look into it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.