For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
swmourner's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 9:56 PM

NVG859 and DHCP Server

Hi,

I am setting up a server for a small office. I know how to setup DHCP on the server side, but I'm not sure how to set up DHCP on Windows Server 2012 when the Uverse router is assigning the IP addresses. I've read that I maybe I have to have another router, then bridge the Uverse router to my router, and then I can use my server as a DHCP? 

I have an nvg589 router, one server computer and three work computers on the network. I can figure out all the details of how to do this on my own, I've set up a server for a much larger network, though I am more experienced with linux and this server is windows... I pretty much just need to find out what the best route to do this is. Do I need another router? Can I simply disable DHCP on my nvg589 (somehow) and then use the server to assign ip addresses? Whats up here?

swmourner

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @swmourner ,

You hit the nail on the head. There is no way to turn off the DHCP server on the NVG589, but you can setup a router behind the NVG589 and configure the additional router to work with your DHCP server. 

Here is a post that goes over how to do a router behind router setup with the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Can this weakness be overcome by allowing only one available IP address to the dhcp server (set DHCPv4 Start Address and DHCPv4 End Address to the same value) and allocating that one IP address to the second router or server?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

8 years ago

No.  The NVG589 would still respond to the DHCP request (with a "pool exhaused" message).

You can really only have on DHCP server on a LAN.  If you need more than one DHCP server, then you need separate LANs or VLANs.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This underscores a real weakness of ATT's products and services: at every turn, they frustrate all attempts to enable a parent (or in this case, a firm) to control/limit access to the internet.  There are no parental controls on ATT equipment and as your reply indicates, you can't even use another device to bypass their weakness.  This is what brought me to the original post to start with, searching for a way to control which devices can access the internet and when.  ATT needs to wake up and realize that not all customers want to have a completely open access system at their home!  Yes, I can prevent a device from connecting to my wireless network, but that's all.  Once that device is granted access (or is connected via Ethernet), it has full access.

To clarify my point, as a specific example, I wanted to block access of a PS4 to the internet.  I had already accepted that I could not impose time limits (as some competitor products suppport), but I tried to use MAC ID filtering.  That works when connected via WiFi, but all my son needs to do is to connect the PS4 to the wired Ethernet in our home and my efforts are defeated.

ATT, parents need capability to control access to the internet at least as robust as to what can be done to control access to programming on the TV.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

8 years ago

@john77024 wrote:

This underscores a real weakness of ATT's products and services: at every turn, they frustrate all attempts to enable a parent (or in this case, a firm) to control/limit access to the internet.  There are no parental controls on ATT equipment and as your reply indicates, you can't even use another device to bypass their weakness.  This is what brought me to the original post to start with, searching for a way to control which devices can access the internet and when.  ATT needs to wake up and realize that not all customers want to have a completely open access system at their home!  Yes, I can prevent a device from connecting to my wireless network, but that's all.  Once that device is granted access (or is connected via Ethernet), it has full access.

To clarify my point, as a specific example, I wanted to block access of a PS4 to the internet.  I had already accepted that I could not impose time limits (as some competitor products suppport), but I tried to use MAC ID filtering.  That works when connected via WiFi, but all my son needs to do is to connect the PS4 to the wired Ethernet in our home and my efforts are defeated.

ATT, parents need capability to control access to the internet at least as robust as to what can be done to control access to programming on the TV.

@john77024, You most certainly can use another device to control this.  You can place a router between your network and the Gateway and program it for whatever DNS or Time of Day restrictions you wish.  You cannot, however, introduce a DHCP server directly behind the Gateway (i.e. without an intervening router breaking it into two different LANs) and have it work, which is what the OP was trying to do.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.