For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
denkopf's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 2:02 AM

Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

U Vers replaced my 2-Wire with the  NVG589, I have several security camers installed and i am trying to set up port forwarding for them. They left me no manual. I have tried web searches, nothing. I was able to set the cameras up on the 2-wire, the Foscam web site does not have anything for the 589. on the NVG589 I set up in Nat/gaming what I thought was correct but outside the house I can not gain access. it states "Privite Network" "this camera is on a privite network and will not work". typically when port forwarding it sets up a http address. I cant find where or how it does that.

so I need help please.

dennis

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Is there a way on the NVG589 to port forward to a particular MAC address? I have a Mac Mini I'm using for several different services and would prefer to have the Ethernet card handle one set of services and the wireless card another set.
Thanks for any guidance.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

9 years ago

Well, yes.  Each of the two MAC addresses (one wired, one wireless) should show up in the NVG589's known device list.  You should be able to port forward to the one of your choice.  It's really no different from having two different computers that share a name.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

For many of us who've configured numerous routers over the years, this model is pretty insane even with the manual.

The stumper for me for an hour or so was how to add computers to the NAT/Gaming's "Needed by Device" menu. Unlike 99% of other routers I've worked on that let you simply type a LAN IP address to assign a port for port forwarding (aka pinholes, aka NAT/gaming), this insanely designed piece of you-know-what only adds items to the "Needed by Device" menu via its Home Network/IP Allocation table.

In other words, if you manually configure a computer with a static IP on your LAN, it'll never show in the "Needed by Device" list nor in the "Home Network/IP Allocation" list, which supplies the items in the "Needed by Device" menu.

Insanely, this router requires we leave the desired static computer itself configured as DHCP, then within the NVG-589 ("Not Very Good") router, go to Home Network, IP Allocation, find your computer on the DHCP list then click its "Allocate" button to assign it an IP address from a huge pull-down list, making that assignment pseudo-static. Only then will this "static" (statically allocated from DHCP) computer appear on the router's infamous "Needed by Device" pull-down list. The router assigns that IP address via DHCP to the your computer based on your computer's M.A.C. ID.

Rumor has it a Motorola competitor infultrated their design team and added this feature to hurt Motorola (success!) since almost no one can figure out how to add computers to the notorious "Needed by Device" list. 

Overall, the NVG589's fatal interface design sin is its insanely buried layered cascading features that cause features on completely different pages to change. It's as if the breakfast, brunch, lunch, happy hour and dinner menus at a restaurant spontaneously changed before your eyes based on the time zone of anyone you think about -- a lousy analogy, so please come up with another.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

You got the right point in this whole unattended (by ATT) forum. Every customer wants a help and you don't get it from them: ATT SUCK BADLY, THAT'S THE MAIN POINT. They get everybody upset at the time you need help. They gain so easily 'free' enemies within their customers, up to the point of focus of nothing else, happy to get rid of their service from themselves, and anybody else in their path and give it to some else. I am working as IT here in this country for the last 20 years, and ever since I moved every single customer that crossed my service to move (not only convince) to other ISP. And still all these years, they don't even move a blink of an eyes to have better service. This  forum is enough prove that this still happen nationwide. They don't provide someone saying: hey! you got a problem?, contact us at (blabla@att.com) and we will help you! Yesterday a customer had the bad luck ATT changed their router for the newest NVG599, and guest what? I spent an hour (with around 17 years experience with A/DSL router's systems since it showed up on the market). Never/ever had a problem with routers to set them up for surveillance cameras, remote control, etc, etc. I got the DVRs getting the external (wan) ip from the router, but won't allow connection from outside. I couldn't find out why, since all other routers of the same type (commercial) from other ISPs don't block ANYTHING when the device get WAN IP. The point is: they show that they don't give a s# about customers' problems. That's the main issue. Besides that, any other ISP gives far more bandwidth thatn them for far less amount of money. Period.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Received a new NVG589 and for the past 2 months have been trying to view my camera system from outside the house. I am unable to port forward the camera system, I have tried all the tips listed here in this thread. I just got off the phone with AT&T, and after the customer service I just received I think it will be easier to just cancel 2 cell phones, U-Verse and internet. 

Why do they make this so difficult?

Would even be willing to pay someone get this set up!!

FRUSTRATED!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

mfreitas,

Could I possibly get a copy of the manual? I'm having a terrable time setting up my cameras!

Thank you ever so much!

Kirk

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

Is there not one on their website? That's where I got mine.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I hear your pain from trying to get your security cameras working and I sympathize with you.

I have a more basic problem (hopefully) that I hope one of you can help me with.  I simply want to get Bittorent working with port forwarding so I can participate in downloading LEGAL recordings of live music shows recorded by amateurs using some pretty good equipment that are done with the permission of the venue, the artists, and their recording label. 

I had the old 2-Wire router working just fine, but about two years ago (I'm typing this in September 2016) I was forced to get the Arris NVG589 router as an "upgrade" to use AT&T's U-verse.

Since then I have tried and tried to get this thing to do port forwarding for Bittorent to no avail. 

Any help or work instructions you could provide would be VERY appreciated. 

Thank you,

Ross

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I hear you Leonard.  Port Forwarding here in 2016 should be a given, and relatively easy to setup and find the correct methodology to get it done in less than 20 minutes.  But no.  I have have tried for HOURS simply to get Bittorent to work correctly with no luck at all. This keeps me from participating in downloading some really good music recordings in good faith because I can't help out the torrents since I can't upload without the ports being open.  This has been very frustrating for me the last two years.  

I don't WANT to have to switch to Time Warner (everyone hates them here in NC), but if I have to do so in order to get basic port forwarding to work, then I guess I'll have to keep that option open. Sad really, because U-verse has worked very well for Internet access, giving me 18 Mbps fairly consistently. 

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

I've got to say. I'm exasperated trying to get port forwarding working. It seems some folks have the good fortune of having their NVG589 successfully forward and others, like me, do not.

I'm not sure of the nuances of each router allowing this to work or not

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.