For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
schnappi's profile

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

Saturday, April 19th, 2014 4:19 PM

Motorola NVG589 cascading router

Last time I tried to install a cascading router with UVerse the latency was so high it was unusable and had to go back to the 2Wire. Got a Motorola NVG589 and this specifically supports cascading routers.

Has anyone set up a cascading router with a Motorola NVG589? Would love to hear what others expereinces has been.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @schnappi,

From my experience with customers I have assisted with setting up a cascaded router setup, I have not had any major issues with the NVG589. Through the setup, we have always configured it following the same instructions posted from one of community members, frostcall. Here is a link to his post. As you see, we do not use the cascaded router option and just set it up through passthrough mode.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

10 years ago

Can anyone speak to any issues regarding port 80 and 443 when using port forwarding on a cascading router?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

I have a netgear router setup with mine.  Just plugged in an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the NVG to the WAN port on the router and everything works fine...ethernet speeds with my gigapower are 320 up and down.  Since my new router is AC, I get 200mbps wireless regularly

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure why this is listed as a "solution" to the question. Thanks nonetheless.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

10 years ago

Quick update. IP passthrough mode works well on NVG589. Linksys WRT54GL works, including port forwarding.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

8 years ago

I have no idea why my cascading router configuation stopped for no reason without touching

anything.

I went back to the RG assignment and its solid.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I still don't see a SOLUTION to the actual question of CASCADING routers.

I have the same question.  I have the NVG589 from AT&T, and my own Linksys E3200.  I want to cascade (LAN to WAN) so the result is two separate subnets and two different SSIDs.

Before the NVG589 I had a different model from AT&T (went down while I was out of town and bf had AT&T come and replace it with the newer NVG589).  I had my Linksys hooked up "LAN to WAN", meaning it was configured with its own (different) subnet ID and DCHP was enabled.  This way I have two SSIDs and two different subnets - which lets see exactly which device is on which network by looking at the IP address.  I set this up years ago with instructions from the AT&T tech and it worked.

I need to duplicate this setup with the new modem/router from AT&T and cannot locate instructions.  Calling them was no help.  The "tech support" was completely clueless.

Any help here would be much appreciated!

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

6 years ago

There is no such thing as "cascading" with these ATT 2Wire routers and ATT will never help you. Closest thing is IP passthrough. Do you remember how to set this up?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.