For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Bododio's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2016 11:20 PM

Macbook WIFI Connection Fail

Just got a new router/modem installed this morning, a Pace 5268AC.  I got everything connected to it (streaming TV, 2 iPhones, ethernet iMac), but I'll be darned if I can connect my Macbook Pro to it.

I verified that WIFI on the Macbook is turned on, and I can select my new router/modem network from the list of available networks.  It asks for a WPA2 password, which I've entered many, many times (the same one I used to connect all my other devices) in my failed attempts to connect.  I've checked and rechecked the password, and I'm absolutely positive I'm entering it correctly.  I've rebooted and reset the 5268AC several times, and I've rebooted the Macbook several times as well.  No matter what, all connection attempts have failed.  When I click the Join button, I get the "connecting..." message, followed eventually by a "connection timeout" error message.  I've searched on the forum for the same or similar problem, but no solution.

Is there something I'm missing?  The WIFI connection worked perfectly this morning with the previous router/modem (2WIRE 3801HGV) before the tech replaced it with the new Pace model.  Is there a different setting, either on the Macbook or on the router/modem?

Thanks for any help I can get.  I have very little hair left!! 😉

Guru

• 

498 Messages

8 years ago

The good news: 5.0 is (or can be) faster than 2.64.

The bad news: the 5.0 signal is easily attenuated by walls and flooring.

I suspect your Mac might have as much difficulty getting a 5.0 connection in the TV room.  Try the extender before paying for a new television!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

@lem3

Thanks.  I'm exploring options to speed up communication between my streaming TV and the router, plus any other wireless devices like my Macbook.  TV can only use 2.64ghz.  I'm not sure if 5.0ghz will solve the problem.

1.  New TV with 5.0ghz

2.  Dual band wireless range extender

3.  Ethernet range extender (pair of plugs with ethernet connectors -- uses home electrical wiring)

Any comments?  At the moment I'm favoring one of the extenders.  I'm worried about the ethernet extender encountering electrical "noise" from appliances.  Plus the fact that a new TV would be cost prohibitive.

Guru

• 

498 Messages

8 years ago

Probably a powerline kit.  A good review:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

Note you won't get anywhere near the theoretical max data rate of a 2.4GHz 802.11n connection but it may be good enough if you're not streaming 4K.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

@lem3

Thanks for the link.  I've got a lot more research to do, but at the moment I'm thinking the powerline adapters are a quick and easy solution, much more so than the wifi extenders.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This basically worked for me on my MacBook Pro, too.  My router was also a Pace modem. I had spent hours combing the net for a solution, on the phone with AT&T, and at Best Buy (My computer had spent the night with the Geek Squad at Best Buy, where they had reinstalled the drivers. It connected to their wifi, so they thought it was fixed.)  before I found Bubbagscotch's solution. Thank you!!!  I didn't know how to implement the solution, so I mentioned it to my son, and he came over and fixed it.  The two bands did not have the same security setting, so he set both to wpa2.  Then everything was fine.   After that I switched my computer from 2.4 to 5.0, because I could :), and a warning popped up that both bands had to have the same name and password for the computer to be able to connect. Where was that warning three weeks ago when I started having this problem?  Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I had same problem on new Macbook on 3/18/2018.  I went into my UVerse gateway network WiFi settings and changed the 2.4 GHz to WPA2-PSK (AES) from the existing entry with WPA-PSK (TKIP)/WPA2-PSK2 (AES) to make 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz the same and my Macbook now connects properly.  Glad I stumbled on this page.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Thanks for this thread! Been pulling my hair out trying to get my MacBook Pro to connect to WiFi! Changed the 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz authentication to the same type (wpa2-psk aes) and it connected to WiFi finally!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

A WPA IS NOT AS SECURE AS A WPA2 PERSONAL.  BTW, I have a 2017 12" MAC & I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,  I AM EVEN ABLE TO CONNECT MY IPHONE SE ON ATT9KWH6AI WITH A WPA2, HOWEVER THE MAC WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO. 

DOES APPLE VIEW YOUR INPUT AND NOT TELL YOU, WHERE THEY REFUSED EVEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO UNLOCK AN IPHONE AND WE DON'T KNOW THEIR REAL CAPABILITES?  OR WHAT?!!!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

A WPA IS NOT AS SECURE AS A WPA2 PERSONAL.  BTW, I have a 2017 12" MAC & I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,  I AM EVEN ABLE TO CONNECT MY IPHONE SE ON ATT9KWH6AI WITH A WPA2, HOWEVER THE MAC WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO. 

DOES APPLE VIEW YOUR INPUT AND NOT TELL YOU, WHERE THEY REFUSED EVEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO UNLOCK AN IPHONE AND WE DON'T KNOW THEIR REAL CAPABILITES?  OR WHAT?!!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.