For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
macameli's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, January 17th, 2016 11:57 PM

MAC address filtering

i'm trying to set up xbox live for XBOX 360 and it wont connect b/c it says i may need to add the MAC address. What does this mean and how do I fix it???!!! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@macameli wrote:

i'm trying to set up xbox live for XBOX 360 and it wont connect b/c it says i may need to add the MAC address. What does this mean and how do I fix it???!!! 

It's a unique # from all electronic devices, many times can get it from the unit's GUI.

Should very possibly be written on the outside of the unit on the sticker or original box.

On my 2wire 3800, it's on the sticker between the system/wi-fi password, uses letter/numbers in 6 pairs w/: between each pair. 😉

Edit:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I need to add the MAC address of the xbox console. they gave it to me when i tried, initially, to connect.  how do I add it?? or allow access?? 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@macameli wrote:

I need to add the MAC address of the xbox console. they gave it to me when i tried, initially, to connect.  how do I add it?? or allow access?? 

Are you adding it from the list of games/programs on Nat/Gaming or Applications, Pinholes and DMZ?  Don't see anywhere you'd need the MAC address. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Idk what you just said.  I have xbox 360 and uverse. when we tried to connect xbox live to our wifi, it wouldn't connect with it. Tried turning off wifi and starting again, then the message said it couldn't connect and that it was MAC filtering and need to add the address of the xbox console.

If that doesn't make any sense, then do you have another idea as to how to get them communicating??? 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

What I'm saying is you have to add it in the RG Gui at one of the locations in my last post.  Should also have WPA2-PSK(AES) security enabled on the wireless, not MAC filtering, easily hacked. 😉

Chris

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I'm sorry but you lost me. 

it's now saying ip address error. i've tried various addresses, manually. 

or it says that my router or modem may be set up to keep certain devices from connecting and to refer to my manual for info about MAC filtering.

i don't have said manual. the att guy just gave my "box". i didn't have this problem pre-uverse...just saying

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@macameli wrote:

I'm sorry but you lost me. 

it's now saying ip address error. i've tried various addresses, manually. 

or it says that my router or modem may be set up to keep certain devices from connecting and to refer to my manual for info about MAC filtering.

i don't have said manual. the att guy just gave my "box". i didn't have this problem pre-uverse...just saying

What RG do you have?  510, 589, 599, 3800, 3801, 5031, 5268?  I can give link for manuals you can find out more about everything. 😉

Chris

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

You are being so nice to try to help me and I, honestly, appreciate it. However, you are throwing out acronyms and lingo that I am not exactly heady with.  I did figure out via online chat that apparently the MAC filtering isn't a problem. So then, the online chat guy said that perhaps I needed to speak with connectTech. So, I called and was informed that for $49 (one-time fee) or $15/month I could speak with a more technically advanced person who would tell me how to "add ports". I don't know but I don't want to spend that kind of money to figure this out.  All I want is to be able to tell my son that the xmas money he spent on Plants/Zombies video game wasn;t a waste!!!

My rant for today. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

ok so i went into the att uverse page via the wifi address and went to firewall under settings and selected the mac address that was given on the xbox. i then added xbox to the applications on the edit firewall part and saved . said configuration was successful but tested again and didn't work. :((

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

My Xbox one says to authenticate now or enter alternate MAC address I don’t know what to do but plz in anyway help plz 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.