For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
JjjMmm's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 31st, 2017 2:48 PM

Intermittent connection loss

For weeks we have been experiencing intermittent loss in internet service. After speaking with 2 techs on the phone we were told upgrading our speed would fix things. It still continued and after speaking with a third technician we were told it's an outside line issue and he noted that the other techs should have caught that. We have a service appointment today and hopefully it will get fixed. Question - what type of training is given to your technicians? Having to call several times to troubleshoot an issue like this is frustrating.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JjjMmm

The skill level of the help desk will be less than the person that comes to your premise. The help desk usually reads what to do from a script.

Make sure the tech runs a thorough test on your circuit.

@ATTDSLCare

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I've had a similar problem AFTER upgrading our speed AND getting a new modem (PACE) just last week. We keep having interruptions in our service as well - locks up or drops internet altogether. Advice???? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

7 years ago

@KatNev wrote:

I've had a similar problem AFTER upgrading our speed AND getting a new modem (PACE) just last week. We keep having interruptions in our service as well - locks up or drops internet altogether. Advice???? 

@KatNev, it could be that your lines can't get enough signal to handle the higher bandwidth.  You can start with the Troubleshoot & Resolve tool at http://ufix.att.com , or you can go to your Gateway's configuration pages at http://192.168.1.254/ , click on the Broadband tab and look for the table with sync rates, SNR, Attenuation, error counts, etc.  Take a screen cap of that and post it in a reply here for analysis.

Also, while you're in the Gateway's configuration pages, check to ensure that IPv6 is turned off.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Is this what you're looking for?   Also, where do I find if IPv6 is turned off?

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

7 years ago

@KatNev, yes, that's the first part of it.  I see you're on a dual pair profile, your attenuation is pretty high and your signal to noise ratio is really kind of low.  I'd like to see if you're getting any error counts due to this.  Here is my error table:

Capture-2017-01-31.PNG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

7 years ago

Your error counts say that you're doing okay.  Nothing to write home about, but no continuous retrains.  I'd definitely look to making sure that your IPv6 setting is off on the Gateway.  Here's where it is on my Gateway:

Capture-2017-01-31d.PNG

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Yes we're doing ok now. Thank you for the feedback.
An outside technician came out this afternoon and said there was a definite issue with outside lines. Originally our line was created to be able to bridge off to other households as well as ours. The benefit to AT&T was that they could still use that line with others if we decided to no longer be their customer.

The technician disconnected the bridge and now it's only us on the line. The extra bridge caused an echoing and issues with connectivity as well as speed. He also said we are inside the geographic parameter to receive a speed of 12. When we moved here several years ago that increase in speed wasn't possible. He said connectivity should be better now and it is as of this evening after the lines were adjusted. .

He said to be very watchful of our connection for the next week because if things still continue to happen that means our modem could be an issue So if we have to call AT&T again we need to request an inside technician to look at the modem since the outside lines were adjusted and updated.

He did say that our phones should have more than one bar connectivity if on Wi Fi especially if our phones are close to the modem. I currently have 2 bars and my phone is right next to the modem so that's not a good sign.

I'm happy that connectivity has gotten better since I do a lot of work from home.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I have disabled the IPv6, so we'll see how that goes. If our frustration level goes down as we use our iPhones, then it's working! 🙂

Now, if I can just figure out how to port-forward to access our IP Insteon cameras while we're on the road. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated since Insteon's support has basically blown me off and said "they don't support those cameras anymore." Frustrating!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately, a bridge tap does create echos, and causes issues but (for reasons I don't understand) doesn't always show up as errors in the counts.  I'm glad you got someone out to remove the bridge tap and that should help, as normally will turning off IPv6.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.