For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

@JefferMC .... to mix the IPTV and other devices on a single 8-port switch, is there a particular switch like the Netgear GS108E that is recommended? Does it need to have features on the switch (VLAN separation, IGMP snooping etc.) OR will any plain dumb switch like a Trendnet TEG-S82g work? Thanks for all your answers and contributions to this amazing forum .. makes it much easier to seek help here than contact ATT technical support.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

7 years ago

There was a frequent forum poster who suggested that the switch needed 802.1p, but I have no reason to believe that is actually the case.  The Netgear GS108 and GS105 switches are used by AT&T for the purpose of adding ports to their Gateways and normally don't care about mixing traffic.  And as far as I know, the Trendnet switch would be fine.

The GS10xE switches allow you to do VLANs (possibly with tagging, though I'm not sure about that) which opens up additional possibilities, as then you could have a VLAN for IPTV and a VLAN for not, each hooked to a different Gateway port (not a lot of use on a GS105E with only 5 ports, unless it does support tagging).

Tagging allows you extend VLANs over multiple switches, which means you can connect two ports of a GS105E (assuming it does support tagging) to the Gateway, connect up to three other switches that support tagging to it, and be able to access the VLANs on the remote switches, which allows you to partition the traffic to all switches over a single cable to each remote switch.

IGMPv3 peeking in a switch should also keep IPTV multicast traffic away from ports that don't need it.  (It's called IGMPv3 peeking in the switch because a switch is a layer 2 device and shouldn't be looking at layer 3 protocols such as IGMPv3. To implement the feature, it's peeking into the layer 3 data inside the layer 2 packet and making assumptions about what it should do).  With this feature enabled, the switch shouldn't forward multicasts by default.  It would only forward multicast packets on ports where there is an active subscription request for that address.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

The Pace 5268AC got installed and is working great. Now I need to connect my home router (Netgear Orbi) to the Pace and have the Orbi do the routing functions to all my connected devices. The STB boxes still connect via the Pace gateway. So planning to put the Pace in the psuedo bridge mode either by LAN assignment OR DMZ+. Since the Pace gateway and the Netgear Orbi share the same LAN IP subnet, do people normally change the LAN IP assignment on the connected home router to something like 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0 to avoid conflicts?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

This did not solve the problem.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

I have an older NVG 589 and paid big bucks to tech support to put it in semi-bridge mode but the tech who upgraded me to U45 said he had to use the new equipment. Tech's aren't trained on anything other than remove and replace. Now I have a Pace 5268ac.  I can't get it in bridge mode so I just opened a port through the Pace's firewall to allow my ASUS RT-Ac68R to controll my network. Everything seems to be working OK.  Do you see anything wrong with that configuration?  

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I don't think the Pace router has the ability to be in a true bridge mode.  I struggled for a while to figure mine out.  The solution turned out the be pretty simple.  I just set my Linksys router IP to 192.168.2.1 and checked the "Router behind router" on the Settings > System Info > Event Notifications.  After that I just plugged it into one of the  ethernet ports on the Pace router.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Very helpful, thanks. Are you able to login to your Linksys router? My Asus says someone else is logged into it (the Pace router) and I can't get in unless I log them out. One more question, what is the difference to the Pace in using the "Router behind router" and the cascading routers setting in the Pace?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I can still log into my Linksys router.  Just go through 192.168.2.1 instead of the 192.168.1.1.   I was never able to get the cascading router thing to work and I'm not sure if the router behind the router does anything.  It makes sense that it would be required for what I am trying to do.  Unfortunately you cannot just go buy your own modem like you can with Comcast.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, I'll update mine and let you know if it helps. Right now I have
50MBPS download and 6 upload so I"m pretty happy but I have not tested for
any collisions or anything

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Hello All - I've been struggling to setup a new ASUS RT-N66R router in front of an ATT Pace 5268 AC RG providing U-Verse GigaPower Fiber Internet. I followed the directions provided earlier on in this thread from Darkness in which I used the Firewall Pinholes function and opened up my ASUS router in DMZ+ Mode.  I disabled the Wifi on the Pace RG and enabled Wifi on my ASUS (both 2.4 and 5Ghz).  The situation is that I can successfully connect to the Wifi (5G) SSID on my Win 7 Pro Laptop and get a solid connection to the Internet.  However, when I try connecting any tables or smart phones to the Wifi from the ASUS RT-N66R - I'm always getting a warning the Internet is unvailable.  Any ideads why my Windows laptop would connec to Wifi and the Interent and my smart phones/tabelts can only connect to the local Wifi, but not to the Inernet?

Unable to Connect - ASUS router.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.