For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
soupcxan's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, June 12th, 2015 1:21 PM

High pitched whine noise from new Arris NVG589

A uverse tech replaced my 2wire gateway with an Arris NVG589 this week and there is a high pitched whine coming from the unit. Will exchanging the NVG589 for another unit fix this or do I need to get a different brand of router?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Update: I'm finally free of the high-pitched noise! The modems have a date printed on the side of them. My original NVG589 was from May 2015 and it made the noise. They sent me a replacement modem (same model) from Dec 2014 and it also made the noise. Finally, a technician came by. He had a refurbished modem (again, NVG589) from Feb 2013 and it *doesn't* make the noise! (Actually, it seems to make the noise extremely quietly, but the important thing is that I can't hear it unless I put my ear right up next to it, whereas I could hear the other one from down the hall!) So this appears to be a problem that affects NVG589 modems made between Dec 2014 and now, possibly going back as far as March 2013 (but the cutoff date is not clear).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I believe that the earlier entry that the whine is coming from the fan is correct, and that the new RG's have the issue.  Today, I tried out my third (new) NVG589 RG.  The whine was initially much less pronounced, leaving me hopeful; however, after about 5 minutes of operation, it became more pronounced like my last RG.  I believe the fan has two different speeds, and when it starts working and getting hot, it kicks in on high speed and produces the annoying whine.  I can hear an electronic click (from the fan switching speeds?) between the high whine and the low whine.

By keeping it in the cabinet to dampen this sound is making it run hot; hence, causing the fan to run at high speed; hence, causing the high annoying whine continuously.  The solution may be better air flow, in a 72-degree home, near an AC vent.  Unfortunately this is not my home.  I will likely leave it in the cabinet to buffer the sound, letting it run hot.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

So what would you guys reccomend doing?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.