For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
joeldavidson's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 3rd, 2018 4:49 AM

pop.att.yahoo.com server error

When will ATT fix its Server? When I try to download my emails from yahoo mail, I get this message: "Sending of password for user did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: Server error - Please try again later." I have been getting this response on-and-off for almost one week.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

When will ATT fix its Server?   When I try to download my emails from yahoo mail,..

Why are you using pop.att.yahoo.com in the first place?  You should be using the att/yahoo servers documented here.  As for the password, change it (Forgot ID/Password).  And when you go into your email client(s) to change the servers and the password use a secure mail key instead of the password.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).  If all of this doesn't work then call the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@DaveinNC

...but I've never had the time to continuously ride herd on AT&T support website to see if anything's changing

The only reason you would need to search out the server info is the first time as I said previously and then when something "goes wrong" with your email access.  No need to "ride herd".  A general rule of thumb for finding the servers for any email service, say foo.net, is to google search for foo.net email servers.  The odds are pretty good they one of the search results will get you the info you need (just look at the dates if possible).

Does this mean AT&T is maintaining all my e-mail on both servers simultaneously?

I am not 100% sure but my theory is the servers need to access a data base of email accounts and passwords to authenticate the access.  That data base is separate from the server software and servers itself (yahoo still maintains the servers).  The att servers inquire the att data base.  The yahoo inquires its data base. Hence the server name distinction. 

I think that before the "great unmerge" there might have been only one data base both sets of servers accessed and when att and yahoo screwed around with it for the unmerge they mucked the att portion up and possibly delete all the att legacy users from the yahoo portion.  Now I think they are in the process of cleaning that data up which is causing the legacy account users to have to recreate their passwords (I guess that info isn't passed into the new data base).  So I suspect eventually, if they ever get it right, these users will all have to use the att servers.  I believe it's currently probably a work in progress.

I could be completely wrong in my explanation (I was in part making it up as I was writing it here), or over simplified reality and my theory could be full of holes, but at the moment it's my best guess.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you ACE-Expert! Problem Solved! The Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728) told me to change the Thunderbird Server Setting from pop.att.yahoo.com to inbound.att.net

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

You asked "Why are you using pop.att.yahoo.com in the first place?"  Maybe this is due to the old adage "If it's not broke, don't fix it."  We are using yahoo servers because when the the accounts were set up, this is what we were told to do.  Ever since then, no communications received that this should be changed.  When did it become known that it was now inappropriate to use yahoo.com servers?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@DaveinNC

When?  I would say about the time it signed up for your att account and occasionally ever since then?  I've only had the att internet/uverse service for 9 years.  But when I joined I made it my responsibility to find the server information att, not yahoo, documented for the att email server settings.  That's what I used.  If the email "broke" one of the first thinks I would check are the documented att settings again in case they change.  Can't remember if that ever happened though.

When it comes to the knowing about att's documents att is very negligent about posting announcements of new articles (or updates to existing articles).  But the att server article does exist and hasn't changed for quite some time. [FWIW, another, almost as important email related document is the one about OAuth and the secure mail key.  It's tucked away here.] 

IMO given the situation it's up to you and I to "keep up".  And in the case of the server info, the email service has no obligation to continue backward compatibly with the "old servers".  If they work, fine, your lucky, but you are potentially living on borrowed time.  This is always been my philosophy about email servers and nothing is going to change it.

Feel free to use the yahoo servers if they work for you.  But you are in no position to complain when or if they don't.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

OK, useful response.  When I signed up years ago, I did determine that the requested settings at that time were for yahoo.com.  You're fortunate that you're daily in the AT&T loop, but I've never had the time to continuously ride herd on AT&T support website to see if anything's changing.

What baffles me is why it is even possible for someone to send me mail to xxx@att.net and I can get it fine using the yahoo server (so far) and I'll get it OK if I change to the inbound.att.net server.  Does this mean AT&T is maintaining all my e-mail on both servers simultaneously?  (When I do change one client to inbound.att.net, will AT&T take note of this and disable all my other yahoo-based clients, forcing me to update all of my clients at the same time?)

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

Re _xyzzy_ comment "The only reason you would need to search out the server info is the first time as I said previously and then when something "goes wrong" with your email access.  No need to "ride herd".

I guess I failed to make myself completely clear.  When I signed up years ago, I did determine the requested server settings, which at that time were for yahoo.com.  And ever since then nothing has ever gone wrong.  But obviously I do need to "keep up," as you put it, as that's the only way to learn about these "new" server settings, and for example, the looming OAuth situation.

Thank you for your detailed speculation about the data bases and why two sets of servers can be at play concurrently.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@DaveinNC

And ever since then nothing has ever gone wrong.  But obviously I do need to "keep up," as you put it, as that's the only way to learn about these "new" server settings,

Or, as I said, just wait until what you are currently using fails.  Then hunt the server info down.

...and for example, the looming OAuth situation.

Not sure what you mean by "looming".  It's already here since last February.  OAuth was "announced" (use that term loosely of course) since this article came out (the one I mentioned in post 5) in February.  And since it never made clear (to me) what OAuth they were talking about (OAuth1 and OAuth2) the easiest thing to do is to use the alternative they present, i.e., the secure mail key.  And that's what I have been recommending to anyone using email client apps (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, mobile email client apps, etc.).  It adds a added degree of security to devices using email client apps.  They are simple enough to create (that article has a link on how to create one) and it's trivial to change the clients to use it in place of the account password.  Using OAuth on the other hand may or may not work in all email clients, depending on which version of OAuth they support and/or whether the client supports it for both POP and IMAP.  I never really dug that deep into OAuth but I know my Thunderbird doesn't support it in any form for POP which I am using.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

By "looming" I meant "looming for me."  I have two desktop PCs that use the (supposedly) non-compliant Window Live Mail, have not switched them to new secure key, and they continue to work fine.  So far.  I plan to get a secure key and have it on hand for the day OAuth strikes me.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I plan to get a secure key and have it on hand for the day OAuth strikes me.

Apples and oranges.  Use the secure mail key or change your authorization to OAuth along with your account password.   Regular account password should still work unless or until "they" enforce that these security methods must be used.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.