For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
DannyU's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 16th, 2017 6:12 AM

connecting thunderbird to IMAP

I am having trouble changing my at&t email subaccounts to use IMAP. They were working fine on POP3, but it seems that at&t is ending support for POP. I have tried many different settings in thunderbird, but it seems unable to connect. I am using the setttings that at&t says to use, "imap.mail.att.net", port 993, ssl/tls . "smtp.mail.att.net", port 465, ssl. It refuses to connect

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Check the following Mozilla support article:

Switch from POP to IMAP account

Could you please post back here whether that article is accurate?  Thanks in advance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

It is right as far as it goes. BUT, I still can't connect to the ATT IMAP server. I don't know what the problem is.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Did you try deleting the passwords from TB forcing TB to prompt for new ones?  At least deleting them might shed some light on how far it's getting into the connection process.  Of course I am not sure why it would matter since those old passwords are for the pop server anyhow.  But it wouldn't hurt to clean 'em out.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Similar problem. Have been using Thunderbird to connect via IMAP settings for at least 5-7 years.  This morning T'bird would no longer connect to server, nor would my Android phone.  If I delete the account in Thunderbird and re-establish as a POP account, everything works. But I want IMAP.... No updates to Thunderbird or the email app on my phone. Have tried two different sets of IMAP server settings:  Original set that's worked fine:  imap.mail.yahoo.com/993 & smtp.att.yahoo.com/465.  Also tried: imap.mail.att.net and smtp.mail.att.net/465.  Neither set of server settings is working.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Anyone make any progress on this? My sister-in-law, who uses a screen reader, is trying to switch from POP to IMAP and can't get it working. She has an AT&T email address and uses Thunderbird with the NVDA screen reader. We could really use some help!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I ultimately got mine to work. These are the settings that I used:

Under server settings:

Server Name: imap.mail.att.net

Port: 993

User Name: (My own E-Mail address)

Security Settings

Authentication Method: Normal Password

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings:

Description: AT&T

Server Name: smtp.mail.att.net

port: 465

User Name: (My own E-Mail address)

Authentication Method: Normal Password

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.