For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
kayjay611's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 27th, 2018 5:04 PM

Weaker spam filters in att.net/Yahoo mail suddenly?

It seems that starting a few days ago, the spam filters that used to capture and properly file spam messages in my (very old!) att.net/Yahoo mail account suddenly became porous and now it is all sliding through to my inbox.  Anyone else with the same problem, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for calling us naive,  Mr. Know it All.    I have used this email for 11-`12 years and never had this problem.  If it had come on gradually, your arguments might have a point.   But the key word is SUDDENLY.   Do you not understand that?    And I will be looking for another ESP,  if nothing else to get away from your condescending comments.  

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@psd7034

But the key word is SUDDENLY.   Do you not understand that?

"Suddenly" has no meaning in this argument.  I said spammers are constantly fishing for ways around spam blockers and they share their information.  If one finds a weakness, some pass the info around, and others follow suit.   Or the one spammer distributes spam for multiple crap using the same newly discovered techniques.  So again, naive in the way you view spam was the correct term to use from my point of view, and I don't care whether you like it or not.  But don't worry about my comments.   I'm through wasting my time here.  Good luck choosing your new ESP.  Hope you know how to evaluate them.  Bye.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "cng.prod|9760cc6|4d84ca40-770b-4e6d-8e11-db4d99b652ed@reply01.lithium.com"
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: Weaker spam filters in att.net/Yahoo mail suddenly?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@psd7034

I wasn't going to come back here but before going to bed I thought of another explanation for your "suddenly".  Your email address may have recently been made known publicly (or at least to spammers) where it wasn't previously.  You could have slipped up and posted it somewhere publicly, your email contacts list may have been accessed, or someone on your contacts list with you on it accessed, or some place you deal with that has your email address was hacked, and any other way spammers acquire email addresses.  So you weren't "known" before and you are now.  So you "suddenly" become a spam target.  Once it's "out there" there's no undoing it.  You are now on lists that spammers pass around or sell to other spammers.  

Now I'm back out of here.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, that explanation actually makes sense and you presented it without sounding condescending!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I too had noticed the same "all of a sudden" increased SPAM issue with my sbcglobal.net email address. Yes, we could all spend days responding to well meaning self taught "techs" who would be "mostly" correct in their suggestions and logic. HOWEVER..I am one of those older I.T. techs and I noticed the difference all of a sudden last fall. The AT&T-Yahoo SPAM filter was indeed previously very good at keeping up with the changing ways that spammers use to get through, however with so many people complaining about the same issue at once, it is NOT an individual problem. Verizon purchased Yahoo last year and they are a competitor of AT&T and so I do believe something is related to business dealings. I also have a standard yahoo address and I don't have this issue with that email address. So put that in your pipes and smoke it kids!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I also noticed an increase in spam.  I had ZERO filters for SPAM but I remember a setting that my Bellsouth/ATT mail had. It was a system setting that blocked spam if turned on.  That feature seams to have been removed.  I rarely ever use Web mail but use Outlook.  I also view mail using my phone.  I would login to Web Mail only if my other access was not available.  I would notice large numbers of items in the spam folder.  If I had not marked them how did they get there?  It was a feature that I enabled in my mail.  I swiped delete in my phone, so where did this mail go?  Into deleted not SPAM.  The mail aged out after 30 days so I never bothered to delete the SPAM.  Now all I get is SPAM on the Alias that I have except it comes to my Inbox.  This feature must have been removed with transfer to Yahoo/Oath.  I have set a filter to send all the alias mail to spam.  My sympathy to everyone else.  I have a firewall with a subscription services for spam but it can't read the encrypted mail to mark the mail as spam.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree, this issue for me started as well sometime after Verizon bought Yahoo. What makes it even more horrible is that it got even worse after the yahoo mail area reverted to a crappier version. It used to show how many emails in the thousands, not this 999+ limit. Used to show how many emails were in the spam folder... now it doesn't say, have to hover over it now. Used to say if any unread were in the Trash folder... it doesn't do this anymore. The shortcut D key that pops up the folder list to move the email to one of the folders, used to stay in place after you scrolled down... now you have to scroll down each time. I could go on and on about this.

So question is, what happened? After Verizon bought Yahoo did they decided hmm... lets downgrade the email site and even downgrade the spam filters while we're at it, so maaaybe this is being done to just AT&T customers alone or maybe Verizon is cutting corners to all its Yahoo customers including AT&T Yahoo mail users because of "Verizon to take $4.6 Billion write-down for Oath"? That happened back in December of last year. Same month that my yahoo email got reverted to a crappier version from something of I dunno... 3-5 years ago from the looks of it? Before you ask, no its not set to Classic, its currently set to what is supposedly the newest version, "shakes my head". So I ask again, what happened, if anything, the spam filter needs to be put back to what it was before Verizon took over.

As a side note, I've been using this email for more then a decade, this spam issue of being this bad only occurred "after" Verizon bought Yahoo. Give that a wide long thought.

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

It is now April 2019 and the spam filtering has not been fixed. It is not learning and setting up filters to catch spam is not correcting the problem. I have marked dozens and dozens of HomeWarranty, 1ink, roofing surveys, solarenergy as spam and they just keep going to my inbox. There is no way to adjust the spam filters. eMail from my city's municipal office or the governor's office, constantly go into spam but 1ink keeps coming through. I've noticed that certain presidential candidate emails keep going into spam no matter how many times I mark them as not spam. I created filters to block domains, then mark them as spam but they are never caught by spam filters. I've also noticed that many of the settings are no longer available such as how many emails to display in folders. I don't understand why a company the size of AT&T can't partner with a real email client or develop its own.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.