For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
dilutedwaters's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, September 2nd, 2018 5:08 PM

How can I turn off spam filtering?

Valid messages sometimes end up in my spam folder.  I normally access my email using Tunderbird, and I prefer to the spam filtering in that application.  How can I prevent AT&T or Yahoo from sending messages to the spam folder?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

You cannot turn off the att/yahoo spam filtering.  All you can do is to try to retrain their filters that those particulate emails are not spam.   It's a fact of life with att/yahoo that even though you use a email client you will be forced to periodically visit the webmail to see what valid emails got sucked up into the spam box.  Stuff is flushed from there within 30 days.  Also you also cannot define your own webmail filters because the att/yahoo spam filters have precedence over user defined filters.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the prompt response.  I am disappointed but not surprised.  I remember that at one time Yahoo mail had a feature which inserted the string [Bulk] into the beginning of the subject of any message it deemed to be spam.  I have looked long and hard for a similar feature in recent years but been unable to find it.  I hate having to log onto my mail in my browser in each of several accounts to move the contents of the spam folder to the inbox, where Thunderbird will pick it up.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

FWIW and FYI, if you create an IMAP account instead of POP then the server/webmail spam box will show up in your Thunderbird list of folders.  For Thunderbird att/yahoo IMAP the spam box is shown as named "Bulk Mail".  Personally I never actually wanted to use IMAP since I don't want any of my email mirrored on the server.  But I thought I'd mention this alternative anyway.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Yes,I have a couple of IMAP accounts on my
Thunderbird.  They are useful for certain purposes, but I think I
will just complain to AT&T.  I prefer the POP accounts.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Complain about what?  Spam filters in any email service are never perfect.  So there is always the chance a valid email will get sucked up into there.  The problem with the att/yahoo spam filters is that they leave room for improvement and that they cannot be explicitly be overridden (other than training) by the user.  That last point has been complained about for years.  But I like to say (sarcastically) yahoo knows better than you what is and is not spam in your personal email." Man Frustrated

Complain to AT&T?  Good luck with that.  Yahoo is att's email service provider.  And att lets yahoo jerk them around any way they want.  If you are going to complain to anyone it would be yahoo.  Good luck with them too.

How did an html line get into your post 5 above?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hi _xyzzy_ (ACE - Expert,

I am surprised you got that reply.  I sent it directly from
Thunderbird, and was immediately asked to log in to my AT&T
support ID. I decided that was more trouble than I wanted to go to. 
So I went on to other matters.

I believe Thunderbird normally sends messages in both HTML and plain
text.  So I suppose that may explain the HTML.

I don't expect perfection from spam filters; I just want the results
to be easy to review, and making them inaccessible to a POP account
does not do the job for me.

I also don't expect any sympathy from AT&T, but I may complain,
anyway.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Using POP I don't believe there is any email service where the client would be able to access any mailbox on the server other than the inbox.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.