For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
bjarniic's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 2:11 AM

Download Speed Quesiton

I have been monitoring my download speed on my mac with "Activity Monitor" and I have noticed that my download speed never goes over 216 kb/s, not really worried about the upload.

I am wondering why it does not go higher then that? when I test my internet connection it says I have 1.55 mbps download.

can each computer in the house only access around 200 kb/s and do all the computers and xbox360 share the 1.55 mbps? please dont tell me that I am sharing around 200 kb/s between 4 computers and xbox 360?

been thinking about upgrading my internet connection, but I dont want to waste my money if I wont get any faster speeds. also been looking at switching to cable.

any information or explanation would be appreciated.

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Hello bjarniic,

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for raising your concern about your connection speed.

As you speed test result show, you have a total download speed of 1.55mbps. Your 1.55mbps downlaod speed is shared by all the devices on your network that are connected to the Internet.

I did a little research on about Activity Monitor. As what I can see, It does not monitor your whole Internet connection speed. It only monitors the data being sent and received on your computer.

For upgrading your speed. You can visit this website to check if a higher speed is available in your area.

http://www.att.com/dsl/

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I'm not a UVerse customer but 1.55 seems awefully low these days anyway.  I am getting an avg 20mb dl spead through basic cable connection.  The thing that you must consider is the throughput of your router/firewall.  if you have multiple devices sharing a connection than your speed is going to get cut into a little more than 1/3's with each device.  It is pretty devastating.  Also you will want to check for settings in your router for the connection speed.  I have found that have a speed setting to automatic in just about any router/firewall causes the connection to be slower and more latency.  If you have more than 3 or four devices on your network I would suggest getting a router with atleast 60Mbs throughput.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Thats megabits not bytes a second so that sounds bout right.

anyways I wouldn't worry about paying more since you'll be getting less. Cause since you're a gamer you'll probably go over the caps that are due soon like I probably will.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Are computers only able to receive about 215 kb/s of data at once? 

will upgrading my internet change that or will it still only process the same amount of data  per sec?

I am pretty upset about the cap myself. I have calculated how much bandwidth I use a month and its usually between 130 GB - 180 GB.  its $10 more for 50 GB more, which is not too bad... although my usage might go up now since I just signed up with netflix.. Still trying to decide if I should upgrade my current internet service or switch to a new provider. Also wondering if the other providers available to me have similar caps, hum.

*edit*

just upgraded my service to extreme 6.0... looked at my bellsouth statement and turns out I was paying 42.50 for 1.5 mps and the extreme 6.0 costs 42.50 a month so I guess I was paying more since I havent upgraded or changed my service for such a long time.?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.