For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
bajaoklahoma's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 28th, 2017 4:57 PM

ATT user can't receive email from one specific outside domain

My wife has one friend who is unable to email her at sbcglobal.net. I asked this sender to forward me the bounce back message, see below. Can ATT do anything or is this a problem for the other domain admins?

flph831.prodigy.net rejected your message to the following email addresses:

Mary (xxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net)

flph831.prodigy.net gave this error:
Connections not accepted from servers without a valid sender domain.flph831 Fix reverse DNS for 71.97.106.60

Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept email from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com
Total retry attempts: 8

xxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
flph831.prodigy.net
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.1 Connections not accepted from servers without a valid sender domain.flph831 Fix reverse DNS for 71.97.106.60'

Original message headers:

Received: from GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com (10.1.20.54) by
 GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com (10.1.20.54) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id
 15.0.847.32; Thu, 24 Aug 2017 21:15:49 -0500
Received: from GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com ([fe80::a5f1:9f39:a943:de82]) by
 GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com ([fe80::a5f1:9f39:a943:de82%12]) with mapi id
 15.00.0847.030; Thu, 24 Aug 2017 21:15:37 -0500
To: Mary <xxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Bounce back
Thread-Topic: Bounce back
Thread-Index: AQHTHRskPBHqoBGRsEi73Et8xbb9D6KUVdOq
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 02:15:37 +0000
Message-ID: <82ad865d5fe8441bb218a10c6238a630@GARExchMX01.Garrecords.com>
References: <DB2F71D3-C7EC-43BF-9E90-157CEAA6E166@sbcglobal.net>
In-Reply-To: <DB2F71D3-C7EC-43BF-9E90-157CEAA6E166@sbcglobal.net>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
x-originating-ip: [47.186.18.193]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="_000_82ad865d5fe8441bb218a10c6238a630GARExchMX01Garrecordsco_"
MIME-Version: 1.0

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

371 Messages

7 years ago

Hello,

This is caused by either no reverse DNS record (PTR) or an error in the DNS record.

Most mail servers will not accept messages from IPs that do not have an valid PTR as this was a common tool for spammers to sent spam then disappear.

This is a generic check that pretty much any mail provider does to first validate that the sender is authorized.

The sender domain support will have to make sure all their DNS records and mail server settings meet minimum security requirements to send mail.

Thanks,

-john

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

How do I set the PTR record for a host with static IP? At the moment it just gives the hostname; the doman name is preset as attlocal.net. I'd like to change this to my actual domain name. From what I see on the web this has to be done by AT&T as it is my ISP.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

6 years ago

AT&T does not have provisions for providing PTR records on Residential accounts.  Is this a Business or Residential Internet account?  Another thing you can do is route the e-mail through the AT&T Mail Relay server, though you may have to take special steps to get AT&T to allow your non-"Att.net" domain e-mail address as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I can't receive any emails. I can send emails. Was hacked recently. Just changed 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I am having a client's email rejected with a "flph825.prodigy.net gave this error" and "Fix reverse DNS for xx.xxx.xx.xxx (IP), and the rDNS tests all come back that it's correctly configured.  I'm finding a lot of posts that say others are having this issue, how do I fix it?  This one was recent - 8/28/18 "We have one vendor that we are getting these kickbacks from as well.  Our reverse DNS record checks out and is not causing issues elsewhere.  It would be nice if ATT would update the Prodigy server that is generating the errors."  Others say "resend it" and "it worked on the 3rd try".  What gives?

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

It seems that many years later this problem persists.

Periodically I get bounce-backs of emails sent to AT&T addresses, even though they worked previously, and again later with no obvious intervention. sbcglobal sometimes has the same behavior.

I use a private email domain hosted by Earthlink. I conclude that AT&T is not properly synchronizing certificates with other ISPs. When the validation of the certificate has an out-of-date timestamp, the sender (not the AT&T) customer get the rejected email returned.

• 

1 Message

@CampbellScott We had emails bounce on 3/20 and 3/22 to att.net and sbcglobal.net addresses that worked previously and have now worked sense. Both are hosted by prodigy.net mail servers. Very odd and irksome!

host al-ip4-mx-vip1.prodigy.net[144.160.235.143] said: 550 5.7.1 Connections not accepted from servers without a valid sender domain.alph769 Fix reverse DNS for 63.228.3.77 (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

Same for ff-ip4-mx-vip1.prodigy.net[144.160.159.21]

Jonathan

Guru

• 

498 Messages

4 years ago

I've been having the same problem with prodigy servers bouncing mail to me with the "fix reverse DNS" message.  If the senders are persistent the message will usually go through the second time sent, always by the third.

Searching through the AT&T and other online forums it's clear this has been a recurring problem for years...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.