For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
sheldan1955's profile

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

Monday, September 2nd, 2019 12:51 AM

Proper Placement for Wifi Extender

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but I need some assistance.  When I switched to AT&T Fiber, the router was installed in the kitchen, presumably because that was closest to the source for AT&T.  I will not be able to move it, so I am trying to compensate for this.

We have a one-story, 2400-square-foot house.  I have a desktop computer in one bedroom in another wing of the house.  I was having problems with slow speeds and indications that I lost Internet connections despite the router showing all the lights green and the Network and Sharing Center showing that I was connected and secured.  The Wifi indicator (the concentric arcs on the taskbar) showed only one or no arcs highlighted.

The solution was to purchase a Wifi extender (the Airties) and place it in the entrance hall between the router and my desktop.  That has seemed to help, but sometimes I see several arcs highlighted and at other times only the one highlighted, and sometimes the speed is not as fast as at other times.  I realize that the purpose of an extender is to make the signal easier to reach the desktop when there are walls and other obstacles in the house that prevent the signal from being as good as it can be.  I am wondering if I need to experiment with the placement of the extender (probably moving it to various positions on the table it is currently sitting on).  Or are these fluctuations in signal strength normal?

As long as I can get something, I cannot complain.  But since the extender is much closer to the desktop, I am hoping this is all I need and it's a matter of proper placement.  If you can direct me to an article or provide some advice, it would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

233 Messages

5 years ago

@sheldan1955 

I am wondering if I need to experiment with the placement of the extender (probably moving it to various positions on the table it is currently sitting on).  Or are these fluctuations in signal strength normal?

Yes this is somewhat normal it seems. You may want to experiment a little with placement of the extender, sometimes this does help. I had the same problem myself and I have a 2600sf home, I use this one... 

This WIFI Booster works great with that system. Go here to check it out for yourself: https://www.thegadgetreviewguy.com/en/order.html The hook up is a breeze as long as you follow the included instructions. The Booster can handle up to 300Mbps with no problem, and around a 1000ft range. I installed it and instantly was able to receive WIFI signals in parts of my home I never could before. You can also try this...

Try going here to run some tests just to make sure you are getting the best service: Troubleshoot and resolve tool
https://ufix.att.com/portal/index.html  You will have to sign in using your AT&T user name and password. Hopefully you'll find your problem here. If so you can schedule a tech to come out from here as well. Another place you can try: https://www.att.com/esupport/mysupport.jsp?pgId=index#/u-verse-high-speed-internet. There may be outside issues such as faulty wiring at one of the local hubs, in any case this should tell you. If this doesn't help then call the main customer service line at 800-288-2020 and ask for tech support, this is an automated line so just keep repeating what you need, it will finally connect you to a real person. I hope this helps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
I am a customer as yourself trying to help others, if you feel this reply is helpful please click "kudos", if it helps solve your problem please click "Accept as Solution" Thank you!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
I am a customer as yourself trying to help others, if you feel this reply is helpful please click "kudos", if it helps solve your problem please click "Accept as Solution" Thank you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.