For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
jzook3's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 1:50 AM

Used Microcell on my in-laws account

Hello,

My wife and I purchased a house with limited cell phone reception. We both currently use Verizon by my inlaws have an AT&T contact because that is the only service they have at their house. 
When they are visiting we would like them to be able to use their phones.  My friend recently got service at his house and gave me his old microcell. 

So I added the microcell to my parents account, and followed the steps to set it up in addition to troubleshooting steps in Otto Pylot's troubleshooting guide. https://forums.att.com/cng/attachments/cng/3gmicrocell/14725/12/MicroCell%20Technical%20Guide%20v1.7.pdf

I have Comcast and my Technicolor modom router is in bridge mode.

I think I have all of the ports forwarded and have DMZ turned on for the Microcells MAC address.

However, after all that work the Microcell activation won't get past step 1 on the AT&T website.

Power Up

With the MicroCell connected to your broadband service, the device is attempting to communicate with the AT&T network to begin the activation sequence.

I'm at a loss and they are visiting this weekend so I really would like to get this working.

Is it because I am trying to activate it at an address that is different from the account holders?
Thanks,
Jon

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

First of all, did your friend deactivate the MicroCell before he gave it to you? In other words, he has to go to his myAT&T page, login, and deactivate the account. You then should wait a couple of days to make sure the deactivation goes thru and removes his information before you attempt to reactivate the MicroCell. Secondly, the MicroCell should be initially activated at the account holder's address so that his account can be matched up with his  billing address. After that, the MicroCell can be moved to a different location and you just need to put in the new address because the primary mobile number has already been activated. They also need to have a post paid AT&T mobile account.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Yes,

I beleive that he did deactivate it but I will double check.

So there is no way to activate it at my address without activating it at my inlaws house first?
Thanks,

Jon

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

I don't believe so because their mobile account number is not at the same physical address that the MicroCell is located at for the Initial Activation process.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Okay, that makes sense.  I was worried I didn't have something setup correctly.  The top 3 lights come on and stay on but the 3G light (bars) keeps blinking.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Unfortunately you're not out of the woods yet. The blinking green 3G light has lots of causes. It would be best to get the MicroCell activated and working at  your in-laws first to make sure all is well and then move it to your location and see what happens. As a side note, in theory you shouldn't have to do port forwarding at all, just make sure that the minimum router requirements are met by your provider but most of us find that port forwarding to a static ip address makes for a very stable connection, especially if you have a lot of devices on your network.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.