For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
LanRvr's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 1:43 PM

Microcells will not get DHCP lease (IP Address) on my network

Hey folks,

I'm on my 3rd Microcell - unless my store got a sequential batch of bad ones, something funky is going on. 

They simply will not get an IP address on my network. I've tried different cables, I've tried different switch ports, I've even tried using a machine with 2 NICs as a bridge. 

None of the 3 will request an address. The DHCP log doesnt even show the MCs as trying. 

Anyone seen anything like this? 

The DHCP server in question is OS X Snow Leopard Server, patched and current. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

464 Messages

14 years ago

Any chance of trying it with a different DHCP server?  I don't know what kind of network you have but if it's a home network it sounds like you've disabled the DHCP service on your router (if you have one) and are running it on a server.  If you have a router try plugging the MicroCell directly into it.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

14 years ago

STRANGE! Tried what you suggested MyDogHasFleas - had occurred to me too but hadn't done it....

Some background first: 

My network is a pretty out of control set up for a home situation, however its all standards based. I've got 30-some drops throughout the house, most GigE, all cat-5E or cat6. Router is a PFsense implementation (BSD based router) connected right to FiOS DSLAM. My "server" is a Mini running OSX 10.6 Server - DHCP, DNS, OpenDirectory, etc. 

Tonight I disabled the DHCP server on OS X and enabled it on the PFsense Router - the Microcell picked it right up. Very very strange.... 

I'll continue to dig deeper on the issue, but will consider it an OS X server issue, not an MC issue. 

Thanks for the tip MyDogHasFleas

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

The microcell should grab an IP in most cases, it may not show up with a hostname within the active client list. But you can find out if it's DHCP'd by looking at its MAC address in DHCP client list. MAC is listed on the label at the bottom of the microcell.

If you have a beefed up router or any advanced firewall, make sure you enable and allow IPSec traffic thru. This is how I fixed the issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.