For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
TimVi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 1:41 PM

Microcell only gets power light

Help!

On installation, my Microcell only gets power light on.  AT&T Microcell support has tried to resolve this issue to no avail and sent me 2 more Microcell towers and still only get the power light.  

In Texas with Comcast, my old router, and my 1st Microcell, I had no issues.  We just moved to Deland, FL, Comcast not available so using Brighthouse cable, my old router and my 1st Microcell, only got the power light on the Microcell.  Now with AT&T support, 2 more Microcell towers and a new router, I still only get the power light.

I'll call AT&T again, but doubt they will help.  I've asked for a tech support person to come to my residence, but they say they don't offer that.  

Can anyone here help?  I'm not good with computers, so need very basic instructions.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

@lquan1220 wrote:

took the power adapter from old linksys router and used that. it worked perfectly and powered up and connected. just needs 12V and at least 1mA power adapter

For the most reliable performance it is always best to use an adapter with the same power ratings as the one that came with the MicroCell. The MicroCell is very finicky about its power requirements. The ac adapter, and its issues are covered well in the Tech Guide (link in my sig) if you bothered to read it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  After 4+ years of Microcell use it decided to stop working last week.  I had the power light, but no other activity displayed on the unit. I stole the power cord from my backup hard drive and voila!  Lights on, ethernet activity, and activation in progress.  (I should probably wait for it to finish so that i don't jinx it, but so far so good).  Just need to get another power supply...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Great! Just remember to get a power supply with the same ratings as the one that came with the MicroCell. You can also double check the adapter with a voltmeter to make sure it's delivering 16VDC with no load. We've seen all kinds of squirrely issues when adapters start to fail. Some problems are intermittent which is difficult to troubleshoot and identify because most of us just assume if the power light goes on, there's sufficient power for the rest of the board and components.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

same problem as all the others - same exact solution after trying everything including talking to tech support who after an hour on the phone hung up (on accident? or purpose I dont really know) they had no idea what the problem was. 

I even brought another microcell home from work to test and see if my unit was faulty.  I plugged it in the same location and same powersupply and it did the same thing (just power green solid light only) Then I read this post and changed the power supply to the one I brought home and almost immediately all the lights came up and its working fine.  I did notice my original power supply was a 12vdc already but just must not be working properly.  anyway I now have cell service again at my home 🙂

power supply power supply power supply. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

The power supply will indicate 12VDC because that's it's rating. However, until you check it with a voltmeter you will never know that it is supplying the correct power. The ac adapter should read 16VDC with no load. Glad the replacement adapter worked. You'd be surprised the odd problems we see when the adpater starts to fail.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I too had issues with the power light being the only light on in regard to my MicroCell. My issue started after Century Link was having problems with my DSL service. Upon restoring my DSL, I had the power light issue... I replaced the power supply, and the problem is solved. I even used a smaller one (12V 1 amp) as a test, and the MicroCell started fine, and has worked for 1 day now with no issues. Will pick up a proper replacement soon...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for posting. Considering that the ac adapters are pulling current 24x7 for sometimes years it's not surprising that they will fail overtime, and some just last longer than others. Do replace it with one of the exact rating that came with your MicroCell when  you get a chance. They are finicky with their power.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

same here... just grabbed an extra power supply from an unused hard drive and suddenly the ethernet light is back, gps light is on, netwok light is flashing... back in biz! thanks for the tip.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@butthead

Just make sure that the replacement ac adapter has the same power rating as the original one that came with the MicroCell. Using a voltmeter to test that it is delivering 16VDC with no load is the quickest and easiest way to determine if the adapter is having issues.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

As the fleet of Mcells age, so do their AC adapters.  They are cheap, unregulated power supplies that will likely fail after time.  Since the Mcells came out in 2010, a lot of these adapters are over 5 years old and have been operating 24/7.  Judging from the number of posters who are running into the same problem recently, we are approaching the MTBF for these adapters.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.