For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
horsing.around's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 4:20 PM

Microcell-Uverse-Galaxy S6

A couple of months ago we switched internet and TV (no landline used) from Comcast to Uverse. At that time my husband and I both had Galaxy S3s. The switch to Uverse caused no problems with the phones connecting to the Microcell.  The Microcell is connected directly into the Uverse box.

About 2 weeks ago we both upgraded to Galaxy S6 (not the Edge). Our ability to receive and send calls, as well as messages, is now very problematic. We have the white microcell and all lights are solid green.

I contacted AT&T and was told there "really is not any reports of problems" but I see a bunch when I searched so I am not sure what is happening.  They did a re-registration of the microcell.  All I could tell them when they called to see if the problem was resolved is that I had 5 lines - and I did get the call from them afterall. But it did not fix the problem.

For example, I just got a voicemail - received a call but the phone never rang - even though I had done a search earlier in the day for the microcell when the phone lines were down to 1.  When I do the search it tells me it cannot find the microcell but the lines go up to 5. However, as the VM indicates, I am missing calls.  This has happened a lot.

I have the microcell set to not hand out calls.

Is this something that can only be resolved by Samsung?  Is there a difference between the white and the black Microcells?  I don't have a problem contacting AT&T again but would like to do so with as much "ammunition" as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

9 years ago

OttoPylot, I can agree about the constant handshake, but the MC does ( did ) the same exact thing the the IPhone 5S that I tried.  Makes me think it can't just the either Samsung or Android's fault ( and I hate using the word fault until the problem is identified ), but the only constant is the MC, aleast for me.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

The iPhone (5S or 6?) is odd. The MicroCell is certainly not perfect so we would have to look into your setup, ISP, number of devices connected at any one time, etc to rule out the MicroCell. By and large, MMS/SMS, dropped calls have been an on-going problem on Android-based devices, mostly the Samsung line, and Samsung has acknowledged that there is a problem so I don't know what to tell you.

Is this a new problem since day one or did it just start after an update (new phone, ISP, router firmware, etc). If you experience the same problem with a brand new or replacement MicroCell then we have to look at your setup/connection.

As far as the iPhone goes, after you put in the phone number on the Approved Users list, did you turn off and then back on again the iPhone? That's necessary for the iPhone to register with the MicroCell.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

My wife has an iPhone 6 that she got the same time i got my first Samsung S6 (5/12) and she has never had any issues with both microcells.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

@glued916 - thanks. That's sort of what I thought. Sometimes you have to turn off and then back on again the iPhone before it will register with the MicroCell. I mentioned that to chuckgraham1949 so hopefully that's why his iPhone didn't work.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

9 years ago

Just wanted to update that disabling HD voice on our S6 (not the active) is still working for us.  Discovered that if there is a situation that disconnects the microcell - such as an electrical surge - once the microcell is back to all green the phones have to be restarted or the old problem occurs. But now all calls come through and I no longer have to deal with calls I initiate not connecting.

In case others are viewing this thread I think it is still worth a try although not a blanket fix.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the update. HD voice is a 4G/LTE protocol and my guess is that the Samsung phones are incapable of switching from HD voice to the MicroCell's 3G radio due to a shortcoming in the Android OS that Samsungs needs to fix. They are aware of it but so far are reluctant to do anything about it.

Sometimes turning off and then on again a phone if there has been a MicroCell power outage is necessary for the phone to register again to the MicroCell. Analogous to adding a new phone number to the Approved Users list. Some phones handle that better than others.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Anybody think of using a third party booster for increasing the signal.

I too have the purgatory ... issue with my black microcell and my samsung galaxy s6.

Constant dropped calls both at my office and home. 

All i read is that Samsung and Microcell dont want to support getting on the same page so the two communicate well with each other.  Sad for all us Galaxy users who got excited about the release of the Galaxy S6.  Cant believe that I am considering going back to the Iphone. 

Any other suggestions???????????????????

I have burnt  more time on the phone with ATT (at least 6 hours over the last three days dealing with them).

Gonna blow up my phone and the microcell if it continues this way.  I dont want to reduce my bill, get credits back, get more data...I JUST WANT MY PHONE TO WORK...IS ATT LISTENING?  STOP MAKING FALSE PROMISES THAT IT IS THE LARGEST NETWORK WITH THE FEWEST DROPS!  SO UNETHICAL!  CAN YOU SAY METRO PCS?

I switched to ATT years ago from Verizon because they were supposedly cheaper and had a larger network and greater coverage.  Do those funny towers you drive by do anything?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

There is some information in the newly updated Tech Guide (see link in my sig) about signal boosters. They do work very well with just about any carrier but they are pricey and the setup is a bit more involved than the MicroCell.

We have been trying to get Samsung to work with AT&T on this particular issue but both seem to be silent. 

According to some Android programmers I’ve talked to, “we have Google/Android to thank for allowing manufacturers to come up with an incredible number of screen sizes, resolutions, and differences in features in Android phones—otherwise known as device fragmentation. It makes testing and optimizing a significantly longer process when you're trying to reach as many people as possible for a single app or mobile site.” Device fragmentation is not necessarily a bad term, but accurate.

From what I’ve been told, a “pure” Android OS is very stable and robust. The problems arise from the OEM’s and mobility carriers and all the extra baggage they add to make their devices and services specific. Android is basically open source so pretty much anything can be added to it. The problem I see is inadequate testing by the OEM’s and carriers to make sure that their extra “baggage” is compatible with whatever update has been pushed.

The Apple iOS, on the other hand, is still pretty much a closed system and Apple is very strict about what can be added “on top” of their OS. This is not to say that iOS hasn’t had its issues and by no means is that to be interpreted that it’s a superior OS. Both have their pros and cons.

The only way to resolve these compatibility issues is to pressure Samsung and AT&T to address and fix the issues. Easier said than done but calling Support because it’s a “MicroCell problem” is rarely going to work because it’s probably not the MicroCell itself but some app or feature layered on that is causing the issue.

My suggestion would be to disable all AT&T apps that you have on your phone and see if the problems go away.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Greatly appreciated!  Perhaps taking my Samsung Galaxy s6 and the microcells to the shooting range might help my frustration.Don't really like guns actually, so that's not going to work.
Any suggestions as to if ATT will pay for a booster knowing that their microcell doesn't work with Samsung?
I think I have spoken with every American Support person for ATT...next chapter I will have to deal with off shore technical support...Opps gotta go get a translator and take a Xanax to deal with that!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

No, AT&T won't give you a $700 Cel-Fi booster for free....no matter what.  If they did, I'd be all over that one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.