Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
Dbdude's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 15th, 2016 11:06 AM

Microcell Support of Unlocked Phone

I have a Blu cell phone that doesn't support Band 5. Will it work on the AT&T microcell in my house? Im not clear what frequency or protocol the microcell uses and it isn't described anywhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

The MicroCell uses all four GSM bands for 3G only. Unlocked, non-branded phones are a roll of the dice. Is your Blu phone on the AT&T network? In other words, do you have a post-paid AT&T cellular account?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

So the Microcells don't support LTE today? Is there any reason why from a voice calling perspective I would care about LTE voice (which I guess is VoLTE)? I don't have a Blu Device on AT&T today, but would be adding it as a post-pay service.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

No. The MicroCell is strictly 3G only at this point in time and I doubt that they will update the firmware to 4G/LTE. The MicroCell is intended to fill in gaps in coverage, not be a complete replacement for a macrocell (tower) connection.

VoLTE is required for HD Voice which results in a clearer and more life-like call on phones that are provisioned for HD Voice.

Unlocked phones are an odd collection. Some work just fine with the MicroCell and others don't. It all depends on how they were unlocked and what was done to unlock them. The MicroCell's rely heavily on the IMSI coding and some unlock procedures, if they are not done by AT&T or the OEM, can affec the coding in such a way that the MicroCell wont' recognize the phone but the "normal" cellular network will. Most unlocked phones should but there are no guarantees and there isn't a list somewhere that you can look up your phone on.

The requirement for registering and activating a MicroCell initially is that the phone must be post-paid AT&T cellular account.

EDIT: I just checked with the Admins and they are going to look into it. In theory, the Blu should work but let me see if I can find anything a bit more definitive.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Dbdude - the unlocked Blu should work with the MicroCell. All you can do is try it and if not, come back and we'll take it from there. It could be your setup and not the phone. We'll just have to wait and see.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.