For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
NikkiCrader9282's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 4th, 2017 12:25 PM

Micro cell

How can I obtain a microcell tower for my home. We live far out and on a good day get one bar on our connection status. Dropped calls, not able to call out at all, texts not going out or even receiving, most of the time no data connection. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have a Galaxy 8+ device. Thanks for your time. God bless!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@NikkiCrader9282 - please keep your questions to one post. It makes it easier for us to answer you and for others to Search if they have similar issues.

As @lizdance40 mentioned in your other post, satellite internet service is not supported and is stated so in the MicroCell docs and on the box. The main reason is lag. It can be fine for internet, but VoIP has very tight requirements and the lag just makes it too difficult for the MicroCell to lock onto and maintain the required 24x7 secure VPN to the AT&T Mobility servers.

The MicroCell is purchased directly from AT&T. Either online or at a corporate store. It requires a post paid AT&T cellular account and an internet connection that has realistically a 3.0Mbps download and 512kbps upload speeds. The line needs to be clean enough for VoIP as well. You can purchase them from eBay but there are caveats to that. See my Tech Guide (link in my sig line) for details on the MicroCell.

Your other options, besides the MicroCell are either WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if you phone is capable or a cellular booster (CelFi or Wilson). Cellular boosters work very well but they can be a bit pricey and there is more to the installation than the MicroCell. WiFi-C is probably your best bet if your phone is capable and you have robust WiFi. The call quality and reliability  is better than the MicroCell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.