For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Groundhammer's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, July 19th, 2019 2:16 AM

JUST STARTED TODAY we can't call out or receive phone calls inside our house-ALL FOUR iPhones

Why is there NO SIGNAL today on our iphones while we are inside our house? We've lived in this same house for 15 years and always have been able to call out or receive phone calls until today. We live next to a cell tower but usually have at least one bar inside the house and 2 bars outside.  I had to drive down the road today just to make a phone call.  If people call me they say it goes straight to voicemail but my phone doesn't show it at all.  HELP!  Is there a way to report possible problem with cell tower???  Or problem with service?  We chatted over the computer today for HOURS with AT&T but they didn't have any answers....they tried to troubleshoot but nothing worked.  I don't know what "3G MicroCell" means but I am posting this under that topic just in case.  I didn't see an option for PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE SIGNAL.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Groundhammer - read my Cellular Booster Guide. There is a lot of good information there. But yeah, you really need at least 1, ideally 2 bars of coverage on your rooftop before they can be effective. Rural locations are even difficult for the MicroCell at times because one, you still need a tower relatively close for location checks and periodic maintenance and two, quite often the physical address does not match the received GPS coordinates and the location verification fails and you lose service. That depends in turn on how current the locational database is that AT&T uses.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

The microcell is no longer available.  It was replaced with WiFi calling.  Turn the feature on in your phone’s settings so calls will route through your home internet 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Groundhammer - it could be weather-related (a downed or damaged local tower). As @lizdance40 mentioned, the MicroCell has sort of been discontinued. By that I mean sales were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. The service will continue until AT&T transitions away from their 3G network. At that time, the service itself will be discontinued.

If you have an iPhone 6 or newer, then you can setup WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) which is what we, and AT&T recommend now, but you need a post paid AT&T account and good in-home WiFi.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Are you saying this change from microcell to WiFi calling just changed on
7-18-19 in my home or in my area? Are you saying AT&T made this change
yesterday? Or are you saying I have a microcell equipment in my home that
must have stopped working?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Since we live at the end of the AT&T line for wifi signal our WiFi is
already slow and on occasion it will go off and we have to call AT&T to
reset it on their end. We live right by a cell tower and they tell us that
our signal will always be 1-2 bars because the signal shoots out right OVER
US. So having our phone calls dependent on our home WiFi is not my desire
if I can get back my SIGNAL like I had inside my home. This just stopped
yesterday and a few times in the right spots inside my home I'll still get
1 bar and then it goes back off...so it's not consistently at least 1 bar
like it USED TO BE BEFORE YESTERDAY. Which makes me think something must
have happened in our area to the cell tower or something YESTERDAY. But
I'm having a hard time trying to find anyone at AT&T who I can report the
outage to and request a repair. I'm also searching online and wonder if
this link for a WeBoost Connect 4G would be something that would BRING BACK
our SIGNAL. Here is the link to order:
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blog/att-microcell-is-it-worth-it/

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Groundhammer - No. WiFi-C has nothing to do with the MicroCell. It's just the preferred way to place calls now if you have poor in-home coverage because sales of the MicroCell by AT&T have been discontinued. It's probably tower related in which case there is nothing we can do about that here.

If you are considering purchasing a cellular booster, I would recommend reading my Cellular Booster Guide (link is in my sig line first) first.

I'm not sure what kind of internet you have but the MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service only, which is DSL/cable/fiber. Satellite and/or wireless broadband is not supported by AT&T or us. It may work but it can be very unreliable. AT&T does mention that in their MicroCell product description.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Groundhammer 

A microcell also used home Wifi to create service where none is available, just like Wifi calling.  The microcell was discontinued over 2 year ago because almost all phones are capable of Wifi calling.  

A booster amplifies an existing signal, which sounds like it might work for your situation.  All it requires is power, and installation of the interior and exterior antenna 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you. Yes, I am considering buying a cell booster but truly wonder if
it would be a waste of money if I'm at the "end of the line" for cell
coverage and it's already weak. I'm not sure you can "boost" something
that is already weak because of your rural location, not just interference
with your roof.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

A microcell also used home Wifi to create service where none is available, just like Wifi calling.  

What? How do you figure the MicroCell uses WiFi to create service? Please explain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.