For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
rjniles's profile

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

Saturday, June 27th, 2015 6:39 PM

Buying a used Micro Cell

I recently had a Micro Cell go bad due to a lightning storm power surge. Luckily I had a spare that I used at another location. Fired up the spare and was back in service. Now I am in the market for a replacement for my spare.  I prefer the older unit with the antenna jack so I am looking for a used unit (also, I am cheap).

There are dozens of them for sale on eBay. I am well aware that if the Micro Cell has not been deregisted by the previous owner it is pretty much useless. I several units for sale in the price range I am willing to pay.  I sent questions to the sellers asking if the Micro Cell had been dereistered, typcal responses:

(no response)

I bought it at action and don't know.

I got it at yard sale

what does deregister mean?

I am sure it must be

None of these andwers made me comfortable enough to buy. If you buy from eBay, I would suggest you get assurance from the seller that you can return for full credit if it will not allow you to register it. I asked this of a seller and he said the unit is solld "as is".

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

We've addressed this issue several times in the past with other posters and my advice has not changed regarding used Mcells.

1.  Do not buy any used Mcell that the seller can not/will not guarantee has been deactivated.  You are asking for a lot of headaches if you buy one that is not deactivated and won't be able to activate it unless you can convince AT&T to do so and that's very difficult to do.

2.  Do not buy any used Mcell that the seller does not guarantee is in working condition.  They should provide you a small return window (14 days, for example) if the Mcell does not work.

3.  Even if the Mcell that is for sale is "new" or within it's one year warranty, the warranty is not transferrable to a subseqent owner.  Only new Mcells purchased from AT&T will have a warranty.

That doesn't mean that you can't buy a decent used Mcell and save some money but like I've also said in my previous posts, Cavet Emptor (Let the buyer beware)!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

That sounds about right for eBay. Another question to ask is if the seller originally owned/used the MicroCell and if they still have an AT&T account. If they switched carriers, and didn't deactivate the MicroCell, it could be very dificult for AT&T to deactivate it should they choose to try.

Also, if you do find one, make sure it doesn't rattle if shaken gently. If it does, someone tried to open it up, or it got knocked over, and the anti-tamper clips have come loose which basically renders the unit useless.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

9 years ago

I am still perusing Flea Bay for a used Micro Cell to replace my spare. I have discovered a way to determine if it is deregistered before you bid or buy.  Ask the seller to send you or post a picture (close up) of the bottom of the unit showing the serial number.

With that number, go to your ATT account and try to register it. The very first thing you have to enter is the 16 digit serial number. If the number is bad or registered to another account, you will get an error message.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Good tip. The serial number is needed to register the particular MicroCell to you and your account so that's a great way to determine registration status.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

That is an excellent suggestion if you can find an accommodating seller to post the serial number.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Certainly worth inclusion into the next version of the Tech Guide (with full credit given to rjniles).

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

9 years ago

Not a total solution as I have found.

I asked a seller for the serial number and he says I can have it after I buy .I passed on that.

Another seller posted a pix of the bottom label (with the last few digits blocked out). Another pass.

I did find a seller that gave me the serial #, I attempted to register it and got an error message. Pass.

Another seller gave me the Ser.#, tried the registration and it accepted and went to the next step. I have purchased that unit. $70 with shipping. I will post a follow up when I get the unit and fire it up.

I see a lot of units sold as "for parts only"  or "needs to be de-registered". Do not even consider these units, you are buying trash.

From my reasearch, I have found that if you do your due diligence, you can get a get good used Micro Cell (older style) for $60 -90.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Weeding through the used Mcells for sale on eBay by canvassing the sellers for the serial number to check on AT&T is a good start.  As previously stated, make sure that the seller also has a return policy if the Mcell doesn't work.  Just because it will register doesn't mean it is operational.

Good luck and report back!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

"For parts only"? That's interesting being as they can't be repaired. One has to be very skilled to take a MicroCell apart and then get it back together with the anti-tampler clips in place and functional. I have a couple of innards around here somewhere that I used to identify components with a long time ago.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I'm going to bash mine with a sledgehammer when I get the Cel-Fi......I'll take pictures.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.