For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
sridarkp's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, June 8th, 2013 11:06 PM

AT&T 3G MicroCell Causes Interference

Friends,

YES. AT&T 3G MicroCell not only causes interference to wi-fi, but it also causes interference with your regular chordless phones. So keep the MicroCell at least one foot away from any of the following devices that works based on wireless transmissions: Chordless phone base-unit, Wireless router, Airport, etc., The documentation of 3G MicroCell talks only about wi-fi devices and about other devices.Smiley Frustrated

I want to post this in the interenet everywhere possible, so that it comes up in the internet search of anyone struggling to resolve a problem due to AT&T 3G MicroCell. In fact, to resolve this problem, A&T blamed on Vonage and AT&T wanted me to sign-up into a ConnecTech service program paying $15 per month for 12 months.Smiley Surprised Watchout !!!Smiley Mad

Cheers to everyone !

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You would think that if the ADT wireless system can work (I assume) with cellphone users in the house, that it should work with a Mcell in the house.  Obviously, there is something about the Mcell's RF wizardry that is different and jams the ADT system.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

One would think. Unless it's an issue with ADT playing nice with other cellular transmissions. Hard to say at this point in time.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you very much for the information. I will do some research on the devices you have mentioned. I am currently deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan so the only person it is an issue for is my Daughter. (Poor Reception).

I will either boost the signal using a cell booster or talk to ADT about a full wired system, I believe it is now but uses radio as a backup in case of an outage. I will check on that as well.

Again, much appreciated.

Additionally, ADT and AT&T apparently use the same equipment so that didn't make much sense to me either, I even tried to get the address for the ADT radio signal and add it to the MCell, couldn't do that either.

I will keep you posted as to my results and any possible outcomes.

Kurt

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Concerning the Cel-Fi. I looked at it, watched the video, it looks simple. But what are the chances the same thing happens? Isn't Cel-Fi the same as the Microcell? I don't want to spend $575 on something with the same end result when the MC was free.

I guess I will have to test it out and send it back if the same thing happens, that is the bad part about being gone when there is a problem at home.

Again, thanks for the advice and listening to me rant a little.

Kurt

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

The Cel-Fi is a different animal than the Mcell.  The Mcell diverts your cellphone call to the internet (VOIP) instead of to the nearest celltower to overcome poor reception to/from the tower. 

The Cel-Fi is a cellphone signal booster.  You find a place in your home that gets one bar of cellphone signal strength and place the window unit in that location.  You then place the coverage unit in a central location in the home.  The Cel-Fi coverage unit picks up your cellphone signal and transmits it to the window unit and the window unit transmits to the cellphone tower.  No internet is used.

There is certainly a possibility that the Cel-Fi unit could jam the ADT system.  If you buy it from Nextivity's website, you have 30 days to return it.  It is somewhat expensive and I have no first-hand knowledge of how well it performs.

Wilson Electronics also makes boosters that review well and are a little cheaper, so you might want to take a look at them also.

I don't understand how an ADT wireless system can function with cellphones in the house yet is defeated by a Mcell.  I wish I knew the difference.

You may want to consider going with a wired security system and use the Mcell.  I guess I'd compare prices both ways and determine which is the best way to go.  There is a possibility that you put in the wired security system and your Mcell doesn't meet your expectations.  I guess I'd try a booster and see how it works with your already installed wireless security system.  At least you can return that if it doesn't pan out.

Good luck and be safe over there.  Thank you for service.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

After reviewing a past post where the user did try a Cel-Fi for a short period of time, I think it important to mention that the Cel-Fi does not relay locational information if you call 911 from your cellphone.  You will have to include your address when calling 911 otherwise, emergency services won't be able to find you.  FYI....

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Another option to get around the 9-1-1 calls via a cell phone is to program in the 10-digit emergency services number. The number is usually listed in a phone book or you can Google it. What that does is bypass the mobile dispatcher (which can be the Highway Patrol, Sheriff's Department, State Trooper, etc) and connects you directly to the emergency services dispatcher who can immediately pull up your location, exactly as if you were calling from a landline. Even if you can't communicate, but leave the line open, they can dispatch Fire and Police to your location. The downside is that it is only effective for your area code. Outside of your area, dialing 9-1-1 is your best bet.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My wirless headphones stopped working as soon as I put my microcell in - has anyone else experiended interference with wireless headphones?

If so, what is the solution?

Here is a link to my headphones - which has 3 different settings - I tired out all 3 settings and still get interference...

(http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448933189&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+RS120+On-Ear+Wireless+RF+Headphones+with+Charging+Dock%5C)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Never heard of that. I can't imagine how the 3G radio can interfere with the headphones but I suppose it's possible under certain circumstances. The MicroCell does need to be at least 2' away from a WiFi source (router) but that's to protect the MicroCell from WiFi interference, not the other way around. Other than isolating the two as far apart as possible there's not much else you can do. There is no way to adjust the radio in the MicroCell as it's output is based on the detected tower signal during initial activation.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Your wireless headphones use radio frequency, not infrared light to receive a signal.  The headphones operate on a frequency of 826 MHz which is very close to one of the 3G frequencies the Mcell uses (850 MHz).  I would guess that given the usual frequency bleed that is present in most RF wireless devices that the Mcell is interfering with your wireless headphones.  The signal strength of the Mcell is high enough to effectively jam your headphones.

I don't know of a simple fix for your particular situation.  If you are depending on the Mcell and there is no alternative (ie. WiFi Calling), you made want to consider an IR wireless headphone or a RF headphone that uses a frequency that is further away from 850 MHz.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.