Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ringo.swartz's profile

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

Saturday, February 11th, 2017 12:27 PM

Why am I being charged for data?

Sir;

AT&T added unauthorized data charges to my cell phone account. I was 
offered a voice only phone to eliminate the unauthorized charges. I 
have requested that phone be sent tome several times. Where is that phone?

Please write the illegal data charges off my bill.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

7 years ago

@ringo.swartz wrote:
[I don't think you understand what "grandfathered" means.]
grandfathered - exempt (someone or something) from a new law or regulation.

[If you make a change (e.g. purchase a new phone) you cannot, by
definition, be grandfathered. ]
To keep my business account was grandfathered in as 'no data' .
Grandfathered was AT&T's term & did maintain my account data free for
several years.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your are telling everything 100% accurately and some official with AT&T decided to give you an exception to the terms and conditions to keep you as a customer.

With that being said, obviously AT&T is no longer willing to do that to keep you as a customer. It does not value your few dollars a month enough to allow you special treatment. If that is unacceptable to you, you should vote with those dollars and spend them elsewhere. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Yep, leave it to AT&T to charge you data when you're not using it. I had one phones data turned off and two on Wi-Fi the entire day and yet got an additional charge again for the second time in the month. I am changing carriers AT&T sucks

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Assuming WiFi is working without logging into your networking equipment to verify that all devices have IP address and that the MAC address of any WiFi adapters are showing and accounted for is simply assuming. Phones have WiFi Assist and smart network switches that switch to data automatically. DNS failures cause WiFi to become a walled garden in local area network mode. Too many factors at play here.

If you have Android phones though you have a definitive counter of data. If you match that to your cycle it'll be pretty much exact.

OSS0wEimN4E0y3

My number is the 5601 one. It's pretty much spot on.

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Wg1111 wrote:
Yep, leave it to AT&T to charge you data when you're not using it. I had one phones data turned off and two on Wi-Fi the entire day and yet got an additional charge again for the second time in the month. I am changing carriers AT&T sucks

I responded to your thread, and you are posting untruths.  You are billed for data used by your phones and reported back to your account.  Because there is a delay in reporting used data, you can use 2 gigs on your phone, which is recorded in settings on your phone, but not yet reported back to ATT.  

Basically your have multiple checkbooks writing checks for more than you have in your account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.