Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ringo.swartz's profile

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

Saturday, February 11th, 2017 12:27 PM

Why am I being charged for data?

Sir;

AT&T added unauthorized data charges to my cell phone account. I was 
offered a voice only phone to eliminate the unauthorized charges. I 
have requested that phone be sent tome several times. Where is that phone?

Please write the illegal data charges off my bill.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Still looking for the FCC thing, but this is section 6.3 of your terms of service:
6.3 What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?

A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and datausage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered dataplan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly datausage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much datausage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

7 years ago

[Still looking for the FCC thing, but this is section 6.3 of your terms of service:
6.3 What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?]

I was grandfathered in as 'no data' ... that was the deal. Now years later suddenly AT&T charges me for data.  We had a deal at&t fidged it.    

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

7 years ago

@ringo.swartz Any agreement against the terms of service is invalid.   The terms of service us the complete and only valid agreement between you and ATT.  

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Right at the top of the TOS, it reads thus....  

This Agreement, including the AT&T Privacy Policy located at att.com/privacy, Customer Service Summary, and terms of service for wireless products, features, applications, and services ("Services") not otherwise described herein that are posted on applicable AT&T websites or devices, and any documents expressly referred to herein or therein, make up the complete agreement between you and AT&T and supersede any and all prior agreements and understandings relating to the subject of this Agreement.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

You were qualified for "no data" for as long as you had a "voice only" device. Once you convert to a smartphone, you can no longer be "grandfathered" under "no data". I'm sorry you misunderstood, but that is how it works. It is completely legal, and within AT&T's rights to change your plan if you do not qualify for the plan you are on. 

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

7 years ago

[You were qualified for "no data" for as long as you had a "voice only"
device. Once you convert to a smartphone, you can no longer be
"grandfathered" under "no data". ]

Sorry I was not clear. When I switched from flip "voice only" to
smartphone I was "grandfathered" under "no data" in order to keep my
business. I have no need for data ... That was the deal. Now years
later start billing me for grandfathered out data.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

You may have been grandfathered under "voice only" when you had a "voice only" phone. When YOU introduced a smartphone onto YOUR account, you were NOT eligible for a "voice only" plan anymore. Therefore, AT&T provided you with a plan you were eligible for as they ARE entitled to do per the service agreement YOU agreed to when you started services with them. IF they did by any chance cheat the system by providing it with false registration information to allow you to keep your voice only plan, this was done as a COURTESY and could NOT be guaranteed throughout system updates. System updates are done to ensure the quality of service customers are receiving, as well as prevent people from abusing the system.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

7 years ago

@ringo.swartz wrote:
[You were qualified for "no data" for as long as you had a "voice only"
device. Once you convert to a smartphone, you can no longer be
"grandfathered" under "no data". ]

Sorry I was not clear. When I switched from flip "voice only" to
smartphone I was "grandfathered" under "no data" in order to keep my
business. I have no need for data ... That was the deal. Now years
later start billing me for grandfathered out data.

I don't think you understand what "grandfathered" means. 

If AT&T makes a change, but decides it doesn't apply to current customers those customers are "grandfathered."

If you make a change (e.g. purchase a new phone) you cannot, by definition, be grandfathered. 

I'm not sure why you would spend 3 years getting upset about this rather than switching to another plan or carrier that better fits your needs.  

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

7 years ago

[I don't think you understand what "grandfathered" means.]
grandfathered - exempt (someone or something) from a new law or regulation.

[If you make a change (e.g. purchase a new phone) you cannot, by
definition, be grandfathered. ]
To keep my business account was grandfathered in as 'no data' .
Grandfathered was AT&T's term & did maintain my account data free for
several years.

All required is use of my smartphone without data, as agreed.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

7 years ago

@ringo.swartz 

And we are going in circles.  A verbal agreement is not valid.   Your only agreement with ATT is the TOS.  Dead issue.  Change your phone or plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

7 years ago

@ringo.swartz wrote:
[I don't think you understand what "grandfathered" means.]
grandfathered - exempt (someone or something) from a new law or regulation.

[If you make a change (e.g. purchase a new phone) you cannot, by
definition, be grandfathered. ]
To keep my business account was grandfathered in as 'no data' .
Grandfathered was AT&T's term & did maintain my account data free for
several years.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your are telling everything 100% accurately and some official with AT&T decided to give you an exception to the terms and conditions to keep you as a customer.

With that being said, obviously AT&T is no longer willing to do that to keep you as a customer. It does not value your few dollars a month enough to allow you special treatment. If that is unacceptable to you, you should vote with those dollars and spend them elsewhere. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.