Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
dowop's profile

12 Messages

Sunday, May 5th, 2024 7:15 AM

Switch back to prepaid from post paid

I was on prepaid & switched to post paid for the iphone15 max. Was told the only way I could get the phone was to switch to postpaid & trade in my iphone 14 & the 15 max would be free. AT&T has really screwed up the billing & trying to talk to agent is terrible.

I want to pay off the phone & go back to prepaid. Went to a corporate store & was sarcastically told that they can switch from prepaid to postpaid but post paid to prepay. Gave me a # to call that is completely worthless with the agent that answers.

I will try the store one more time & then If I have any trouble I will switch to Verizon.

Question is that after I pay off the phone how long do I have to wait for AT&T to unlock it.

The agent at the store told me that they don't have to & if they would it could take as long as a year.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

13 days ago

You don't have to unlock it to got to prepaid. Only if you want to switch providers. You usually have to wait until the next billing cycle.

If AT&T wouldn't sell you the Apple phone you wanted without switching, you should have purchased the phone you wanted directly from Apple.

12 Messages

13 days ago

You did not answer my main question about switching back to prepaid. Your should have about the phone is not helpful.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

13 days ago

The problem is AT&T changed its method of switching between prepaid and postpaid and vice versa without fully explaining to AT&T stores or their call center employees that the method was now different. 

The previous method was to go to an AT&T corporate store and have them give you a different SIM card and migrate your service between pre and postpaid. 

As of December of 2023, the method of change to calling AT&T and having the switch done that way.  FYI they cannot do it unless your phone and account are paid off to $0.   So it still may be possible to do the switch but only after you pay off your phone, go through the unlock process, and then pay your last post-paid bill. Only then should you be able to call and have the migrate you to prepaid.

Unfortunately this is classic AT&T communication, their interior training is poor, and the customer suffers the frustration. 

So simple answer is pay off your phone first, wait till the next bill cycle and perform the carrier unlock through the portal 

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

You should always unlock your phone as an existing customer.  It's a pain in the neck to do so otherwise. 

Then switch to Cricket.  Cricket is AT&T prepaid but without the taxes.  

(edited)

12 Messages

13 days ago

Thank you

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.