For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
thoryash's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, June 1st, 2017 2:30 AM

save only $5 for suspending a line!

One of the users in my mobile share plan has an internship in India, during which she will not be able to use her at&t line. I had asked at&t to suspend her line for the 3 months she will not be in the United States. I understand that she would still need to pay her At&t Next installment and insurance. I was told by At&t that the only 2 options are voluntary suspension (where the person would pay her complete bill but not have service) or reduced cost suspension (which is $10/line). The incredible part is that the cost of that line after discount due to at&t next is $15! so the net savings is $5 per line - which does not make any sense to me - having to pay 2/3rd of the line costs not to have service. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Actually your paying $10 a month to keep the line and number till the person returns.  I agree it's high, but the alternate is cancel and port the number to google voice to save it.  The phone would of course have to be paid off as Next installments would be due in full.  And $45 to reactivate the line later.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Wow! So it is $15x3=$45 to just leave things as it is, and $10x3+$45 = $75 to not have any service for 3 months just to keep the number? In which universe does this make sense?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Technically, the line costs $40, but because there is no "contract" on the line you are getting a $25 discount. So, you're actually only paying 25% of the line cost by getting that additional $5 off. Also, you aren't charged for turning the line back on with a reduced cost suspend. The $45 activation fee only applies if you cancel the line by porting to a different, possibly cheaper service, then port back in later. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

So if it were an unlimited data plan line, where the cost is $20 per line - the reduced cost suspension would be 25% of $20 = $5/month?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

@Melindablue is my calculation correct in this regard?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

I was talking specifically about the plan previously mentioned, where you're actually paying $40 w/ a $25 discount. The cost for a reduced cost suspend is $10 no matter which plan you're on, I was just explaining how that plan worked.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

And specifying that you would not be charged afterwards to turn the line back on. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

So how do you justify paying 50% of the cost then on that regard? I honestly find this preposterous, at&t charging whatever is fancied apparently for the convenience to keep the number, especially when the user is not using any of the bandwidth. Is this cost justified by the service provided?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

You're paying to keep your phone number, which is highly convenient. Upon researching, I found that Verizon and TMobile charge the same, Sprint only charges $1.01 less. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.