Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
kerrymadkins79's profile

1 Message

Friday, May 17th, 2024 2:15 PM

Data breach and number change

Due to the security breach of ATTs system, my wireless phone number was released to the dark web. I was notified this by the Active Armor app provided by ATT. Being that I am not into having my identity stolen by the ineptitude of the ATT security system. I called customer service to find out what could be done. 

After speaking with the agent, I decided to change the wireless number as changing my passcode isn't protection enough from identity theft. I was informed that the charges for that change of number can be taken off the bill once the bill for thst day is released. 

I am currently on sabbatical in Albania and signed up for the International plan so that I could keep using my unlimited service at a cost that I find acceptable.  Yet, that also caused a problem. 

Once the bill arrived, it was 25% higher than it should be due to two reasons: 1. The wireless number change and 2. I was bill 19 separate daily fees for the usr of my phone in Albania instead of the 10 allowed in this International plan. 9 times on the old number and 10 times on the new one. 

I called the billing department to work out a solution. Imagine my surprise when I was told there will he no solution because "the system" recognizes the chargrs as authorized charges. 

How can this be true? 1. My initial conversation guaranteed that, because of the data breach, the change number fee can be waived 2. The International plan only allows 10 daily charges per month but my phone was charged 19 times. I was informed that "the system" sees the new number as a new line and will recharge at the regular rate even though it is the same phone. But it's the same phone! 

Had ATT been able to secure my data, as it guarantees to all customer, I would not have had to change my number. Yet, since the company did not do that the penalty paid was a 25% increase to my account when all I was trying to do is guard my online identity.  

I am a navy vet, a cancer survivor, this account with ATT has been active for decades. I two months I will finish paying off the two phones I purchased with the company. If I cannot recieve proper customer service for this problem, I will have no choice but to explore offers from other service advisers.  Please contact me at my registered email [email scrubbed] if you would like to keep my business. Thank you. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.9K Messages

30 days ago

No one is going to contact you.  That isn’t how the forum works.  You have to contact them.

https://www.att.com/support/contact-us/

Their explanations of the charges seem valid.  You requested your number be changed, and there is a charge for that.  While you may feel that you had no choice because of the data breech, they may feel different.  Almost no one changes their phone number because it’s on the dark web.  Almost everyone’s phone number is, or will be, on the dark web.  For the IDP, it’s a new number.  Being the same physical phone has nothing to do it because AT&T doesn’t do billing by physical phone.  The do service billing by line (phone number).  That said, it’s probably how the automatic billing system works, and probably can’t be overridden before it happens, and need to be fixed after it happens.

Hopefully they will give you credits for the charges.  If regular CS doesn’t work, then file a BBB complaint to get it escalated to upper management.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

30 days ago

There is not a 25% increase in your account. One bill is higher than normal due to your choice to change your phone number. Unless you make other changes to your account, going forward the bill will be back to normal.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

30 days ago

International day pass is now $12 per day starting on the 14th of the month. 

Consumer accounts limit the number of charges to 10 charges per phone line, per bill cycle 

Business accounts and FirstNet are not limited.  

If you have churches on 19 consecutive days, do they span more than one bill cycle?  

If you have 19 charges on the same bill cycle is your account is either business or firstnet?

If the error was due to a change in your phone number, and you didn't cancel the line and add a entirely new line, then it is an error in AT&T system and you need to speak with a loyalty department. 

None of that is going to happen on this customer populated forum You must contact AT&T directly. 

You can contact AT&T for free on your AT&T device 

+1.314.925.6925

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.