For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
AmaQuin's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, July 17th, 2018 11:28 PM

Charged for international calls I did not make!

I have been charged $150 plus $46 in fees for a 50 min call to Sweden that I did not make!! This is the only International call on my phone bill in all of the history of having AT&T. I logged in to pay my bill and discovered this charge. I first used the chat feature on the website and was offered a credit of $30 towards the charge, this credit is an insult considering that I did not make the call in the first place. I was told that if I would like for it to be further investigated that I would have to WRITE A LETTER and send to an address that handles 'these types of issues'. As we are in 2018, being told to write a letter is basically a way to tell someone that they are not planning on helping you further. 

Next, I call the 800 number and asked for help. I spoke to a nice gentleman who had me then speak with his manager. After waiting 15-20 mins the manager came on the line. A back and forth conversation of minimal words explaining that I simply did NOT MAKE THE CALL and long pauses of time in between she said that she would attempt to file a reverse charge but that 'high limit' department would likely kick back the refund and I would receive a text saying that it was refused and would basically be in the same place where I started. I asked her what I could do to resolve this once and for all so that I did not have to call back and deal with this again. The manager said that she would contact the international department and placed me on hold, again. I am NOT EXAGERATING, I was put on hold for 35 mins without one time checking in to let me know what the wait was for then I was just disconnected completely. Now I am writing this blog post and asking for help! This is absolutely ridiculous!! I just tried to call back again and was placed on hold for another 10 mins. I am so disappointed and frustrated to be asked to pay a $311 bill because I am being wrongfully charged $150 plus $46 in fees from a call that I did not make. I'm going to spread the word and I hope to let people know that AT&T resolved this issue instead of that I had to cancel my service because they are taking advantage of people's time and money!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@AmaQuin wrote:

I have been charged $150 plus $46 in fees for a 50 min call to Sweden that I did not make!! This is the only International call on my phone bill in all of the history of having AT&T. I logged in to pay my bill and discovered this charge. I first used the chat feature on the website and was offered a credit of $30 towards the charge, this credit is an insult considering that I did not make the call in the first place. I was told that if I would like for it to be further investigated that I would have to WRITE A LETTER and send to an address that handles 'these types of issues'. As we are in 2018, being told to write a letter is basically a way to tell someone that they are not planning on helping you further. 

Next, I call the 800 number and asked for help. I spoke to a nice gentleman who had me then speak with his manager. After waiting 15-20 mins the manager came on the line. A back and forth conversation of minimal words explaining that I simply did NOT MAKE THE CALL and long pauses of time in between she said that she would attempt to file a reverse charge but that 'high limit' department would likely kick back the refund and I would receive a text saying that it was refused and would basically be in the same place where I started. I asked her what I could do to resolve this once and for all so that I did not have to call back and deal with this again. The manager said that she would contact the international department and placed me on hold, again. I am NOT EXAGERATING, I was put on hold for 35 mins without one time checking in to let me know what the wait was for then I was just disconnected completely. Now I am writing this blog post and asking for help! This is absolutely ridiculous!! I just tried to call back again and was placed on hold for another 10 mins. I am so disappointed and frustrated to be asked to pay a $311 bill because I am being wrongfully charged $150 plus $46 in fees from a call that I did not make. I'm going to spread the word and I hope to let people know that AT&T resolved this issue instead of that I had to cancel my service because they are taking advantage of people's time and money!

It's very strange that calls you don't make end up on your bill. I'm sure it's happened in the past, but surely you can understand the skepticism on the part of the reps. 

Have you check your phone's call log for that date and time to verify it wasn't made by accident? Is there anyone else who has ever had any access to your phone? You didn't mention other lines, but to be sure, are you the only line on the account?

Based on the answers, if you're 100% positive you didn't make the call, the first rep was correct. Per the customer agreement (all caps in the original): 

IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU'LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatChargesAmIResponsibleFor

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@AmaQuin wrote:

I was told that if I would like for it to be further investigated that I would have to WRITE A LETTER and send to an address that handles 'these types of issues'. As we are in 2018, being told to write a letter is basically a way to tell someone that they are not planning on helping you further. 

You might think that, but that IS the next step and you're not choosing to do it.

Now I am writing this blog post and asking for help! This is absolutely ridiculous!! 

So they've told you want to do and instead of doing you're spending time on the phone getting more frustrated...?

And now you're asking for help because you've exhausted your options, except you didn't do what they said to do. You're actually creating more options.

The time you spent on the phone, setting up this account and posting is more time than it would have taken to do the letter.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.