Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
ddabrowiecki's profile

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, June 13th, 2023 10:00 PM

Being charged for international day pass when using wireless calling and text

Hi,

I am currently abroad and have only been making calls and texting while on WiFi.  I have been diligently turning off my roaming data and diligently verifying that my WiFi calling is enabled.  Yet while reviewing my bill, it appears I have been charged several times for making calls and causing International Day Pass to be enabled.

1) Can the community help me understand how to verify that I was not using data certain days, and that calls and texts enabled the International Day Pass?

2) Can someone please explain if there is a clear system to know when International Day Pass is enabled? If not, why not? For travelers who don't need to be constantly connected, how can we be sure that we are only being charged when we are absolutely using international calling, text or data?

Thanks!

ACE - Scholar

• 

989 Messages

11 months ago

I thought it was supposed to text you.

Depending on the phone, there may be an option where, if wi-fi is weak, to use cellular backup.  Which may trigger the pass.

In addition to turning off roaming, etc, if you weren't using a local SIM I would have put the phone in Airplane mode.  THEN turned on wi-fi.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

11 months ago

Roaming data is not going to affect calls or texts. If a foreign carrier detects that you are connecting to its towers and relays that info to AT&T, you will be charged for the IDP. 

To ensure you are not charged when you don't intend to use cellular service, keep your phone in airplane mode. 

• 

3 Messages

11 months ago

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but it would make so much more sense to have a part of the app where you can elect 24 hours of IDP.  That way I could know exactly when I'm not being charged.  The current way necessitates so much guess work!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

11 months ago

The current way necessitates so much guess work!

Not really. Note the time you take your phone out of airplane mode. You won't be charged again until 24 hours later. 

If they allowed you to buy just 24 hours at a time, you'd have to do the same thing, except instead of $10 for another day, you'd be charged the high roaming charges if you go over.

ACE - Scholar

• 

989 Messages

11 months ago

I've seen enough complaints through the years of people getting bills for several hundred to thousands of dollars before ATT offered this plan.

And I've personally warned a relative on a trip to Canada once to keep her phone in airplane mode, she forgets, then is calling ATT trying to reduce her bill after the fact.

Since keeping a phone in airplane mode, or careful configuration if you buy a local SIM, you can avoid the fees the $10+tax is a small price to pay for a mistake.

• 

3 Messages

11 months ago

The text is really hit or miss.  It doesn't always send. Again, I feel like ATT should allow for this to be turned on in an application.  Otherwise it just feels like the angle is to create confusion for accidental triggers of the app, and therefore to charge.

Also, there is very bad documentation for Wifi calling and texting. It's super unclear when I'm calling or texting through WiFi. I've triggered the pass at least twice assuming that my phone would default to Wifi calling/texting because I set that option in my phone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 months ago

assuming that my phone would default to Wifi calling/texting because I set that option in my phone. 

Bad assumption. You aren’t on WiFi calling unless you see “AT&T WiFi” as the carrier. If you see anything else, you are roaming.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

11 months ago

Otherwise it just feels like the angle is to create confusion for accidental triggers of the app, and therefore to charge.

It feels like you're making it more confusing than it is. 

1. Phone in airplane mode: No IDP charge.

2. Take phone out of airplane mode: Assume the phone will connect to cell towers immediately for background data, if nothing else, and trigger IDP at $10 for 24 hours. Set a calendar reminder or alarm for 23 hours and 55 minutes if you're concerned you'll forget.

3. 24 hours after taking phone out of airplane mode: Another $10 charge for 24 hours of IDP. 

4. Want to make or receive WiFi calls without triggering IDP: Keep phone in airplane mode.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

11 months ago

Wifi calling makes the calls as if in the USA.  So calls to USA are free.  Calls to other countries are at long distance rates. 

This right here...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 months ago

@MicCheck That’s if you leave data roaming on. I’ve never been charged as soon as I turn airplane mode off and connect to a carrier as long as I make no calls or send any texts. I need to take the additional step of turning data roaming off. Airplane mode guarantees no IDP charge but I have found it easy to control IDP charges by only controlling data usage. Since incoming texts don’t trigger the IDP charge, there may be times you don’t want to be in airplane mode but still not get charged.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.