For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
F

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, April 29th, 2021 8:06 PM

Unauthorized Call Forwarding from ATT *** Customers Beware***

Has anyone checked their Call Forwarding feature on their phone's settings? I recently noticed I was not receiving any incoming calls and after checking my phone settings, I found out that the Call Forwarding feature was enabled. And below it was an unfamiliar phone number. Apparently, customer service reps are able to "turn on" the Call Forwarding with your "permission." All they need is your passcode, which you have to give them in order for them to assist you. I never gave anyone permission to enable forwarding and this is very alarming. I've turned it off immediately.

I have contacted ATT but no can confirm when this Call Forwarding was turned on. But they can see when it was turned off but cannot confirm when it was turned on. That is a bit strange... Judging from my call log and some evidence I've gathered...the forward feature may have been active almost a full month. Calls called over the Wi-Fi were not impacted by this forwarding feature, which explains why I didn't detect this until recently.

My question is...WHO turned the Call Forwarding feature on...and WHY? When was it turned on?

I've contacted ATT since yesterday to help me with this case but I have not gotten any answers to my questions above. I honestly wonder how many customers have been affected by this breach of privacy...

There is one post about a similar case (that I could find), but there was no solution. Here is the link to that: 

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-phone-features/my-calls-are-being-forwarded-to-an-unauthorized-number/5df01815bad5f2f606baccc9

I'm sharing this to the forum so everyone is aware and check their "Call Forwarding" especially if you recently talked to an ATT rep. This makes you wonder what kind of access employees have and what they are capable of.

I will be switching carriers asap. I've been with ATT for a long time but I do not trust this company and question their "security/privacy" when it comes to protecting their customers from unauthorized attempts.

1 Message

1 month ago

im having the same issue. I got a text message notification about my call forwarding being setup. And sure enough it was! not done by me. As soon as I called the number, & left a voice mail. the forwarding number was removed. 
I also did a test where I setup call forwarding & saved settings. no notification was received. so this makes me think that its some rouge ATT service rep that is working with some other malicious actor to set this up in order to do some type of bypass of authentication to financial websites or apps. ATT I hope you have logs to review what your service reps are doing. so you can catch this type of fraud & abuse. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.