Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
saumyom's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2016 6:51 AM

Ported to T-mobile

I have successfully ported both my ATT numbers to T-mobile (I was out of contract, with unlocked phones). My ATT account now shows "numbers have been deactivated".
Question is, do I still have to call ATT and formally close out my account (so that ATT doesn't bill me after today)? Or, did my account get implicitly closed as soon as I ported my numbers out (and need not call ATT to close my account)?
All I want to ensure is, ATT doesn't bill me after I ported the numbers.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Porting out does cancel the lines automatically. If you did port out all lines, there's nothing else needed. Keep in mind that you will be billed up until the end of your current billing cycle no matter when you ported out (even if it was the first day), so your bill won't be prorated and you won't receive any money back that you may have paid for the current bill cycle.

If this solved your problem, please consider marking it as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and we're all customers here and don't have access to account specific information and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Seems like it would be worth a call; I'd get the persons name and location and record the date/time.

This is the AT&T community forum (not tech support), we cannot look up your plan...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

When I ported out all of our lines, my account shut down automatically.

It didn't lock me out of my account (excpet for a day or so, I couldn't use my number to log in, which was primary back then), and I could see my final bill, when it posted.

I had the opposite pro-rate experience.  I had ported really close to the start of the billing period, and they just never charged me for that period (I think I used maybe 3-5 days).

When I came back to AT&T, it was interesting, TMobile made a point of telling me that my bill would be pro-rated, and it was.   They locked me out of my account though, I just waited for the final paper bill...

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey Nope you experienced exactly what is the expected behavior. Your bill wasn't prorated and you didn't receive a refund. The bill you had paid previously, actually covered service for the time you ported out and AT&T didn't refund you any money for the unused time.

An example:

Your bill cycle is the 10th-9th of every month. This means around the 12th of the month your bill will be available online and mailed out to you. Using AT&T's current cycle dates, your bill would e due on the 1st of the following month, so take the following:

You receive your bill on May 12th. This bill contains usage charges (such as overages, pay-per-use charges, etc.) for the timeframe of April 10th-May 9th. But the bill also contains monthly service charges for May 10th-June 9th. In your porting example you would've ported out, let's say, May 13th. In that case you would have had no service from May 14th-June 9th that you had paid for. You would've also had a bill in June with usage charges from May 10th-May 13th if applicable, but if not the bill would've been $0 (assuming you had paid the May bill as well and not let it go past due, etc.).

Now if you were an arrears billed customer acquired from another carrier, etc. your experience may have been difference, but if you were a normal postpaid customer, your experience would've been similar to what I mentioned above.

I included a sample from my latest wireless bill as an image. If you look in the top right corner you can see my bill cycle date is from 4/24/16-5/23/16 but when you look at the monthly charges section you can see that I'm paying for services from 5/24/16-6/23/16.

bill-1.png

Hope this helps explain the process.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider marking it as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and we're all customers here and don't have access to account specific information and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

1 Attachment

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yep, totally understand the process.  I had an upcoming month, when we ported, and we went 4-5 days into that month, which I never paid on.

I kept asking (chat sessions) for my final balance, and eventually someone just said there was no final charge for that period.

I went back, and double-checked, the last time I paid for my service was the month before, the month before I stopped service.

Maybe I hit a glitch or something...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.