For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
senegae's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, December 24th, 2018 11:38 PM

password emails re my closed account

I closed my account with AT&T 6 months ago and now I've started receiving multiple emails stating my password has been changed and giving me a temporary password. Contacting AT&T has been very difficult.  The IVR does not recognize my requests to talk to a live rep in IT or fraud, nor does it recognize my closed account number. When I do eventually get to a rep, most have been of little help since they can't look up the details of my closed account (or the IVR sends me to the wrong dept). I finally got through to one somewhat helpful person who believed the emails were due to a "glitch" in their system. Today, I've received a paper letter in the mail stating my password was changed and giving me a temporary password (same message as in emails). I'm concerned that a "glitch" is accessing closed accounts and sending out password change messages. If it's not a glitch and really a hack, I'm concerned that someone could be access my account information including credit card. Is it possible to reach a human in the fraud/technical dept. that can actually look where these emails and letters are being generated from?

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

I would feel concerned too. 

What I would do is go to your local AT&T store. Bring in your ID. Have them call into myatt online support, and they can reverse search your email address to see if someone is using it without permission. 

Also I would not recommend on clicking on any links in the email in case it is a phishing scam. I would go to att.com/my and click on forgot username. From there you can put in your email (one you were getting notifications on) and your last name. It then will send you your "username"... if you have no active myatt login it will tell you. 🙂 

Hope this helps.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about it. If the account is really closed, the emails don’t mean anything. As suggested above, it may be a phishing scam. Just trash those emails.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.