Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
H

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 1st, 2021 3:57 AM

No option to request a Transfer PIN in the myATT app or online.

I have been attempting to follow the instructions at https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1447526/

However, I do not have the options described.  

I also dialed *PORT and it tells me there is an error.  Yet I get an SMS message with a transfer PIN.  However the Transfer PIN doesn't work.

I am curious if anyone has any tips.   My ATT account is quite old and has a "FAN" discount attached from my employer.   I am wondering if this is causing some issues.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

i solved. I got a new sim card and i called *PORT

Thank you

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

tdgdmr I am having the same issue, did you get an AT&T sim card or Verizon sim card.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

3 years ago

@khauver

You have to still have At&t service to use *PORT

So an active AT&T SIM, plan and service 

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

@khauver Go to AT&T store and take new sim card. you can say i lost my sim card. they give you new sim card in couple minute.

later you can try *PORT

should be work.

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

The AT&T support article is completely incorrect, at least as relates to prepaid plans -- there is no "People & Permissions" area that I've been able to find anywhere in the online account.

The *PORT option also failed for me: the automated message said that they could not send me a transfer PIN because "your phone does not accept text messages" (which is, again, completely incorrect).

AT&T support (online and phone) has been miserable from start to finish. Everything is a red herring.

Update: I called AT&T and they told me that for prepaid plans, there is no 6-digit transfer PIN -- you just use your regular 4-digit security PIN (if you can remember that).

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ethanjrt

No, it's not.  But you have read it ALL

Wireless = postpaid service 

Prepaid = prepaid

This refers to postpaid only. 

Prepaid has to call in to get their account number.  

(edited)

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I see that now @formerlyknownas and I would like to point out that when I called, the AT&T support person literally said to me, "Oh, your four digit PIN is your transfer PIN." And the new phone service provider was asking me for a required transfer PIN in order to make the transfer request from AT&T. (My 4 digit PIN ended up working fine.) So either both of these support people are using incorrect terminology, or that FAQ is incorrect.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ethanjrt

Which is correct for prepaid.  You still need to call support to get your prepaid account number

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

That is also incorrect; the full account number is available on the main page once you've logged in to your prepaid online account.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ethanjrt

Not unless they changed it last night.  Per AT&T's own information, the only way to get your prepaid account number is to call.

https://www.att.com/support/article/my-account/KM1045139/

Find your AT&T PREPAID account number

To get your AT&T PREPAID account number, call us at  800.901.9878 (or  611 from your AT&T wireless phone).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.