For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cindersga's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, January 10th, 2015 10:06 PM

LIED TO, MISREPRESENTED, BAIT AND SWITCH - ATT LENOX SQUARE MALL

January 10, 2015

District Director, AT&T

Dear Mr. Le:

On the 28th of December our family took a trip to the Lenox Square Mall.  We went to the Apple Store first because my son, Nick a college student, was interested in trading his iPhone 5S (16Gb) in for a new iPhone 6 (32gb) and signing up for The Next Program for his phone.  We are all (4 of us) on a Family Share account.  The kind customer service guy at the Apple Store told us that the AT&T store would more than likely give my son more trade in value than they could.  At that time he told him that the Apple Store could only authorize $260 in trade-in value.  He told us there was a new AT&T store inside the mall so we went to check it out.  The gentleman at the front desk (out by the mall aisle) of your AT&T store welcomed us and asked how he could help.  My son told him what he was looking to do.  The gentleman looked his phone over for trade-in value and told him the phones trade-in value was $300 given to him in the form of an AT&T Visa card which he could then use to make payments on his new phone which would be charged to our combined bill.  He then said, “the only thing is we don’t have the iPhone 6 in stock”.  He said he could order it and have it shipped in one to two weeks and on the day Nick receives it he could go to any AT&T store and trade-in his phone and receive the $300 Visa card.  We asked specifically about him living in VA and him getting the phone in GA and whether or not the AT&T stores in VA would give him the $300 Visa card since he isn’t buying the phone from them.  He said it wouldn’t matter and any AT&T store would issue the $300 Visa card to him.  JUST TO MAKE SURE, I went to the lady at the store (that this gentleman had spoken with to get clarification) and asked her flat out, “If my son, Nick, purchases this iPhone 6 from you today (12/28/2014), waits for this iPhone 6 to come in the mail from you in one to two weeks (1/04/2015-1/11/2015) and then once he receive the iPhone 6 he takes his iPhone 5S in to sell they will honor it and give him the $300 Visa card there?”  She responded with a definite “YES!”  I told her my concern because; he was buying a phone (not in stock) and not being able to conduct the trade-in right then for the $300 Visa Card (can’t be without a phone for one-two weeks while waiting on the shipment of the iPhone 6).   They BOTH assured us he would get his $300 Visa Card.  Without the Visa Card for $300 he would not have made this purchase!

So current situation:

He received his iPhone 6 and promptly went to the Lynchburg, VA store to trade-in his phone for the $300 Visa Card.  They told him his phone was only worth a $175 Visa Card.  WHAT?  Wait a minute we had a deal!  Your store personnel clearly stated that when the new phone shipped and he had it he could go get his $300 Visa Card from ANY store.  When our son told us what happened I did call the Lenox Square store.  I spoke with Manager “Daniel”.  He first told me that the $300 Visa Card was only a “November Buyback” and that our son couldn’t get the $300 Visa Card in December.  After explaining the story to him he said it was only good for “December” purchases.  Clearly neither he nor the employees know for sure what the policies and prices are for trade-ins.  All we know is we were making a business transaction with AT&T employees, in good faith, and what they were telling us about the trade-in was true.  What we have is misrepresentation and disregard with words that don’t mean what they were intended to mean.  We were falsely told, after checking with two different individuals, that he would get the $300 Visa Card.  We were lured into a bait and switch situation where now my son is tied into a two year contract and instead of getting the $300 Visa Card he is being told he will get $175. 

This is NOT acceptable business practices and by such we are asking for this to be corrected and the promised amount (a $300 Visa Card) trade-in be granted upon turning over his phone to the AT&T store in Lynchburg, VA where he resides. 

We are very, very, unhappy and ask that AT&T stick to the deal that was made.  If the $300 trade-in was a December only event then they should have said, “oh by the way…when you get this iPhone 6 shipped to you it will be in January and the $300 Visa Card deal will not be in effect then.  Do you still want to proceed with this transaction?”  If the $300 Visa Card deal was only a NOVEMBER BUYBACK deal then it shouldn’t have even been offered to a customer to entice him to purchase and be tied to a two year contract with AT&T.  Either way not acceptable.  Please make this right.

Sincerely,

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Hello, I am not the person that initiated the message, however, when I saw the link to send you a personal message I decided to respond in hopes you can guide me in the right direction. In October I went to an AT&T store to purchase the Galaxy Note 4. Unsure if I wanted to upgrade or do the payment plan an employee offered me a deal that I couldn't refuse. He asked me if I had home security service and I told him yes and he then started to talk to me about the Digital Life service. I stated that he could get me a great deal if I switched from my current security service over to Digital Life. I'm always up for a deal so I agreed. The deal was he could get me the Note 4 for $100 and an LG tablet for .99 cents if I added the DL to my account. He explained what DL was and it turned out that it was better than what I currently had. Fast forward a week later, I notice a new line added to my account. I talked to the employee and he told me that it was for the DL service since it works through the internet. Ok I thought, sounds reasonable. Today I happened to be reviewing my bill and I was told that I have a 2 year service contract for my tablet. WHAT! they said I signed up for it back in October, I'm thinking actually no I did not sign up for it, no one told me anything about a 2 year contract. I was also told that the DL service would be added to my phone line and that's why my bill increased which turned out to be a lie as well. So hear I am today 4 months behind on my DL service because it's not being charged to my bill, my bill has increased and I don't know why, and I have a 2 year contract for a table that I didn't agree to and was told it was for the DL service connection. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@amabo2015

You bill increased by $10. Plus tax. This is the cellular connection for the tablet. This is in addition to the 2 year contract extension with the purchase of the note 4.

I have no idea if the security service has been set up, I'm sure it requires some installation.

There are 2 AT&T stores in this mall. I don't know if this is the same store.
I agree these are deceptive practices and don't look good for the company.
Both complaints are serious enough to warrant some kind of action from at&t.
I certainly recommend passing your complaint up to a higher level in the company.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Do you happen to have any contact information for someone that could help resolve the issue? I was never aware that there would be a contract for the tablet. I have several tablets and none of them have contracts because I only use them at home or over WiFi. Records will show that that tablet had not been used on anything other than home WiFi because I had no idea that the extra service existed. Thanks

M. Hart

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I too have been subject to AT&T bait and switch. On December 11, 2014 I went to the COVINGTON WA store to simply buy a phone. The store manager waited on me. She tried to get us to switch from our FAMILY plan with TWO grandfathered unlimited data plans as part of  their new 'mobile share'. She claimed that we were not using very much data (true, but the past is not predictive of the future - and both my son and I told her exactly that) and that if we switched we could SHARE 40g of date for $150 a month (plus, of course the add ons of insurance, purchases and taxes)  bringing our monthly bill DOWN from about $322/mo to about $180. I was there speaking with her for HOURS. She spoke to all 3 adult sons, 2 of whom are on our plan ad in the end we made the switch.

Fast forward to yesterday when I got the bill for $422. I immmediately called AT&T to walk me through it and came to find out the $150 was indeed there PLUS AN ADDED $40 FOR EACH PHONE LINE AND AN ADDED $10 FOR EACH TABLET.

The manager a the COVINGTON WA store never once said onesingle word about the additional $40 per line. She spoke to all THREE adult sons who questioned her extensively and to whom she 'explained' the program, extensively.  It would have been insane for us to switch, RAISING our cost for less available data. She told us the data was shared and convinced us it made sense because I used virtually none while the others used 3-6/mo. A simple comparison of what we had been paying for our plan to this ridiculous amount they have scammed us into would easily show that no one in their right mind would have made this switch IF they had all the available information.

The woman I spoke with on the phone yestere was very polite, patient and sympathetic. She said that since we had not passed the 'time period" she was 'opening a case' #CM2***** and that they should be able to revert us back to our old plan. My husband received a text this morning saying they will not. When she called me back with the case number I told her that wh had been with AT&T for well over 15 yrs to the tune of close to $4000/yr and that we as a family are adament that AT&T has 2 choices: revert our plan or permanently waive the $40/line/month scam that the store manager never bothered to mention.

It is my intention to contact them again on Monday and absent satisfaction from them, I will contact the attorney's general of WA (for whom my son worked after law school) and every consumer protection agenecy I can find.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

You would be paying at least $40 per line anyway if you upgraded to new phones.

I will try to explain this way.....sorry it's long, I hope it's clear.

All carriers now require you to pay for your phones, one way or another. (They always did)

With AT&T you have 3 options to purchase a phone....

1. BYOP, bring your own phone or purchase a phone at full retail.

2. The 2 year subsidized plan. ( aka "old plan ) A portion paid up front, the rest of the cost is built into the $40 a month line fee. This is why you lose your discount on the line. If you're add what your paid up front, plus the $600 lost discount, you will pay more than the current retail price for the phone.

3. The newest purchase option allows your to spread out the current retail price over as much as 30 installment payments and keep the discounted line at $15. This is not a lease or rent. Once the installments are paid in full the phone is yours to do as you please. The 30 month plan allows your to trade in a phone in excellent condition and use the value toward a new phone after only 24 months. ( there are shorter plans for those who want to pay off quicker )

You now have unlimited talk, text and a pool of UNTHROTTLED data.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.