For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Gurren_Lagann's profile

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

Saturday, February 27th, 2016 11:32 PM

I'm looking to switch over to AT&T but...

Hello. I'm looking to switch over to AT&T from Ting for various reasons. One reason is because Ting's data doesn't work in certain areas around where I live and I'm looking to start a new with a new carrier with better overall service and a much wider service area.

I’m bringing my unlocked LG G3 over to AT&T. I just selected the SIM Card I will need and I am now on the page that shows all of the plans. I selected the 2 GB Plan for $30.00 a month. Under that it has the AT&T SIM Card - LG G Series. And next to that it says $25.00/mo. access charge. Is this a one-time fee or a monthly fee? This is the part that I don't really understand. The total price per month is $55 but is this a one-time thing?...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gurren_Lagann wrote:

Hello. I'm looking to switch over to AT&T from Ting for various reasons. One reason is because Ting's data doesn't work in certain areas around where I live and I'm looking to start a new with a new carrier with better overall service and a much wider service area.

I’m bringing my unlocked LG G3 over to AT&T. I just selected the SIM Card I will need and I am now on the page that shows all of the plans. I selected the 2 GB Plan for $30.00 a month. Under that it has the AT&T SIM Card - LG G Series. And next to that it says $25.00/mo. access charge. Is this a one-time fee or a monthly fee? This is the part that I don't really understand. The total price per month is $55 but is this a one-time thing?...

It is a monthly charge. The $30 covers data, the $25 covers unlimited talk and text. 

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

8 years ago

Oh, wow. Ok. Thanks.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

If you are only bringing a single phone and must use them consider Gophone. Check out the rates. A $45 plan is only $45 without all those extra charges.

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

8 years ago

Ok. I looked over the GoPhone rates. These plans seem to be good for someone like me who doesn't use his phone all the time. I would go with the 25¢ per minute deal but I am concerned about the data charges. It charges 1¢ per 5 kb. 

With Ting, I average about 330 MB / mo. and they only charge me $12.00 for those MBs. If I were choose the 25¢ plan at 1¢ / 5 kb, I would have to fork over $660.00...

The $45.00 / mo. plan sounds very tempting though. I would be paying roughly $20.00 more than what I usually pay Ting a month but then again, I'm sure that it would be worth every penny. I may consider it. 

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

8 years ago

What if I were to choose the 25¢ plan at 1¢ / 5 kb. Would I have to fork over $660.00 just for using 330 MB of data? Or is there some kind of additional data package (like $5 for 100 MB)?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

If you use the $30 plan each 100 mbs is $5.

Have you considered an MVNO? These are companies (like Ting) that buy space on the network from the Big 4 and resell at discounted rates. Consumer Cellular, PagePlus and Net10 are examples. They have much greater flexibility in pricing and plan choice. 

https://bestmvno.com/att-mvnos/

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

8 years ago

I have considered using one of those and I think I know what I want to do now. I really appreciate the help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.