Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
aomshis's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, October 19th, 2014 11:11 PM

Closed

How is that possible for two users having the same phone number...

So I've have this phone number since I bought my iphone two years ago. In the past month or two, a number that I did not recognize called me constantly. I called back recently and wondered who that was. The lady insisted that she was calling her friend who has the same area code and phone number as mine. She said her friend had had it since many years ago, she switched to a different number, and got this number back again. From what she sounded like, it made me become the theft who stole her friend's phone number. And she asked me to talk to AT&T because they gave me a number that belonged to someone else.

I kind of don't want to get a new phone number, since I did not mean to steal someone's phone number at all. I haven't had the time to talk to any AT&T agents yet. It always takes so much time to wait at the center in my town. I'd rather just leave it because the lady's call doesn't really bother me. My phone is on silence all the time.

Has anyone come across something similiar to that? 

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yes, it's happened to me on two occasions.. my mom passed away in August of 2019 of this year and I don't know what prompted me to call it (nostalgia, grieving, etc) but it's already been issued to someone else. The number I currently have I got in 2011 and I've received several phone calls for same person who I assumed was the previous person/account holder. I've heard of similar stories from others who have received new AT&T lines.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This is kind of currently happening to me. My friend has a Samsung and texted me yesterday, and then someone using iMessage texted me back after replying to him. We are literally in the same house together and someone using an iPhone literally had a whole conversation with me and apparently has the same exact phone number with just different brand phones. How do I stop this from happening 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This also happened to me a few months ago too. I texted a friend who also has a Samsung (I use a iPhone) and they replied through iMessage. I don’t use at&t but I swear phone companies are giving people with diff brand phones the same exact number n it’s honestly (Edited per community guidelines)ing ✨stupid✨ Who knows if your getting ripped off and charged for anything solely Bc someone has the same number as you. They shouldn’t be about to do that 

(edited)

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Yes! I've had my number for about 3 years. Since the day I got the number, SO MANY PEOPLE & BUSINESSES have called for a William (Bill) Tanzey. I get at least 1-2 calls/text msgs per week for "Bill". I can't recall off the top of my head, but I looked into him and this number and he's got it listed as his number for many different things and if some people call my number, they will reach "Bill". I have no idea how to get it this fixed. I've tried to get a hold of Bill but only get my voicemail. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Yes, I'm actually having the exact same problem with my boyfriends number. I saved his contact into my phone and if I call through the contact it sends me to him. If I type the phone number in and then call, I get someone else. I'm not sure what's going on with that but it's very confusing. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I got this phone number on October 31, 2019 since then I have received multiple texts and phone calls from people looking for a Joey Whitehead. After telling all of these people that this isn’t Joeys number they still send pictures and call/text me multiple times a month. Apparently this guy is a K9 officer and his boss or coworkers still think that this is his phone number. I’m so confused. Idk what to do at this point. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

To everybody who says that it's not possible for 2 people to have the same number, YOU ARE INCORRECT! PLEASE READ THIS!!

So I've had only ONE phone number I have been using for the past 2 -3 years, from METROPCS. Well one day around August2020 I decided I wanted to get a new phone, so i got the Galaxy ZFlip financed from Best Buy, and decided to port in my number from METRO to AT&T... So I bought the phone online from Best Buy, and after following the steps to port in my number, I was informed that it was successful and that I can now use my new phone... Well when I tried to use it, the only thing that would work was the internet(data) and making outgoing phone calls...I couldn't receive any text messages EXCEPT from AT&T, and Whenever I tried to send a text message, it looked like my texts were sent successfully but the multiple recepients I tried to contact never received them..  I had no idea what the heck was going on, and called customer service about 200 different times trying to resolve the issue.. every call was about an hour long, and all of the customer service reps tried doing all kinds of tests and checking this and that and whatnot but They literally couldn't figure out what was going on... Well I noticed that my OLD METROPCS phone was ringing and had a bunch of missed calls from all my friends and also about 50 unread text messages from my friends... So it turns out my phone number was active on BOTH my OLD PHONE AND NEW PHONE.  My old phone worked 100% perfect even though it was supposed to be out of service ... And  my new phone is only able to use the internet and make OUTGOING  calls... Well I went IN PERSON to the at&t store to try to get it sorted out, and was told it was not AT&Ts fault, and  that I have to go to METRO and have them turn off the service on their end... So I did JUST THAT and GUESS WHAT!? It did absolutely nothing to my new phone's service and now im stuck with a phone that CAN ONLY MAKE OUTGOING CALLS and (aside from calls and texts from AT&T)  is unable receive any incoming calls, doesn't send or receive any texts messages, and pretty much can only use data... My credit score is incredibly important to me and since I got the phone financed I have to pay the bill every month, or else my credit score will go down.. This is still an ongoing issue with my phone service and I've gone into the at&t store multiple times and nobody can figure out how to fix this issue.. during more than one visit, I was told I need to change my phone number to fix the problem, BUT for some reason everytime they tried there was an error saying that it's unable to change my number..  and just recently, as I was attempting to figure out what the (Edited per community guidelines) is wrong with my phone service, I texted my phone number with my girlfriends phone and got a reply from some stranger saying I got the wrong number... Very odd since My phone number/caller ID has been saved in her phone for years... We both double, even triple checked to make sure it was indeed MY phone number and tried calling it and sure enough, the stranger picked up the phone whenever we tried to call my phone number... However, when we would use MY PHONE to  call my girlfriends phone, it would ring and my caller ID would pop up... and all the text messages I tried to send her show up on my phone as delivered but none of them show up on her phone... So there's some one out there that literally has the same number as me despite us having 2 completely separate phones and sim cards... It (Edited per community guidelines) because since I got an installment Plan, I have to keep  paying for the service every month otherwise I'll have to pay the entire amount I owe on the device and this has been very stressful and I wish I had never even decided to leave METRO. I've been trying to make the most of what my phone is able to do, and got a free phone number from a texting app from the playstore so I can at least use the data to make and receive calls and texts... but sometimes the apps don't notify me if about calls/texts for hours or they lag and crash.. but yeah that's my ordeal this past year.. It would be sweet to actually be able to use the full service I've been paying for since october2020.. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Iamtasian

Again will you please click on the three dots and edit out your personal information! 🤦🏼‍♀️

The community is a public forum. You should have received a pop-up asking you not to post your phone number. Personal information is not permitted on the Forum this is public. You're opening yourself up to all kinds of spam.

Your understanding was and is wrong.  As explained on your thread, your port was not completed.  You should have called AT&T Port activation Center as soon as your old number did not port. Because it is never completed, you are still operating on half service. And because you canceled your Metro service that number is now lost and port cannot be completed. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I’m having the same exact issue with my iPhone they tried filling a restraining order and a (Edited per community guidelines) for identity theft 

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I’m having the same issue with my iPhone and these people think I’m an identity theft and tried fileing a restraining order and (Edited per community guidelines) for it too

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.