Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
FedupAF's profile

1 Message

Tuesday, December 26th, 2023 5:46 PM

Closed

AT&T is the worst phone company out of all of them. Can anyone at this company actually help or is it a hopeless scam?

Everything about at&t has been a nightmare since I switched. It was supposed to be cheaper, bundled with internet, but nothing they told me at the store was true. They didn't even give me the right Pixel phone and I tried not to complain. From the minute I left, none of the promises they gave me lasted or proved true. They didn't count my partner's iphone 12 trade in as enough for his new iphone 14. Even though the deal was that it would pay it off. And absolutely nothing was cheaper because of the internet bundle, it was completely separate.

Not to mention auto-pay has conveniently not worked, so I don't even get the discount for that.

On top of all of that, the data has never worked and if we don't have wifi, we're left in the dark, so "unlimited" didn't mean anything. 

Now they're claiming that I can't cancel and return the phones (at a loss,) pay off a final bill and be done.

I've just been talking to a team member for the last two hours, while they refuse to help me, but they refuse to let me talk to a supervisor so I can cancel this scam of a "service"

They keep literally repeating this one scripted sentence, telling me to transfer the bill to someone else. Maybe because I mentioned my partner and I were splitting phone plans?

It makes no sense.

Aside from leaving bad reviews everywhere online, I need actual help on what to do. 

Is there anyone who can help me or give me advice on how to get out of this without paying a few grand for phones I don't want or need, especially when one was supposed to already be free?

Thanks in advance. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 months ago

Well who did you do business with? If you did business with a corporate store and they handed you the wrong phone, you hand it back and say wrong phone get me the right one.  

The trade-in offers are published online. Depending on which phone you purchased, the maximum trade-in allowance is not going to cover the full cost of a new phone.  AT&t's maximum credit has been $1,000 for quite a while. And that's if you met all of the other conditions and the iPhone 12 met the minimum $230 book value to get $1,000 back over 36 months. If it was damaged even so little as to have a couple of dead pixels it would drop to the $830 level.

And no matter what the deal is, the "free phones" come in form of bill credits over 36 months. They don't just hand over a phone in an even exchange with no charges. You pay installments for 36 months and AT&T uses billing credits to offset.

If you switched before July 15th of 2023 there was a deal for 25% off your wireless If you were an internet customer.  After July 15th the deal is $20 off internet.  Both the wireless and the internet account should be at the same name or at least the same address in order to get the discount.  Yes?  No?  

As for canceling service, after 14 days you cannot return devices to AT&T.  AT&T doesn't want your used phones.  You agreed to stay or pay them off. 

The return window is 14 days and has been 14 days for as long as AT&T has been a thing. After 14 days the only way you can cancel service is to pay off your devices, unlock them, and then you can port out your phone numbers at the end of the service month to whatever service provider you choose. Whether or not your phones will work on them is between you and your new service provider.

This is your only out.

If you started service with an in home rep.  They should have set up your account correctly and they should have explained everything to you. You also would have signed information either a tablet or on a piece of paper which explained all the prices policies and expectations.  

What did you say to illicit a suggestion of a transfer of billing responsibility?    Did you set up the internet and the wireless under two separate addresses and names. If internet and wireless are set up on different addresses you didn't qualify for the offer. Any in-home rep would have known this. AT&T knows this. And switching the billing responsibility now will not make you qualified for the discounts.

More information is needed on to tell you which direction to go now.

If you don't want to stay with AT&T, you must pay off the phones, unlock them, and then take your final bill with the payoff information to either Verizon or T-Mobile and take advantage of their bring your own phone offers.  T-Mobile offers a more generous one and will pay off up to $800

My last comment is do business with AT&T directly. The people that come to the house, or at Costco's Sam's or BJ's or Walmart or Target are not AT&T employees. They can't offer you anything that you couldn't get directly from AT&T anyway. Whether it's a credit for switching, a discount for already having internet service and adding wireless, phone deals and on and on.... The only reason those third parties can offer you any of this stuff is because AT&T already offers it right from their corporate stores.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.