For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Rudys195's profile

1 Message

Friday, February 9th, 2024 2:36 PM

AT&T is scamming the elderly with deceptive sales pratices

I live in ocean springs m.s. I called for internet service and when the tech came out a sales rep follow and walked in offering to better my phones and service 3 phone lines and phones including the internet for 118.00 a month that never happened the first bill was 565.00 after going to the store in deirberbille Ms I was able to call her boss only talk to him once was promised that the bill would be ajusted never was called the rep same promises nothing has happened the veteran discount was never put on the bill the retired discount either the ACP I live on a retirement budget and have 2 depends the sales rep will not return my calls the sales rep at the store told me that this is a regular practice by Att to send a rep behind the tech that puts in the wire connection on the home my home internet is 85.00 that was never bundled as she promised so my total bill is $ 565.00 plus the 85.00 a month it’s $650.00 a month on a retired budget I would like to see if a lawyer out there would take this case and other like me on a probono or file a (Edited per community guidelines) against att and it’s employes that so this and it’s common. Knowledge that att allows them to do this this is scamming the elderly and is this what this country has come to were instead of a gun they have these parasites doing this to people I hope that att corporate office takes a look at this what is being done by the sales reps and employee at the ocean springs Mississippi  area and possibly all over the country it’s sad  any attorney out there that will file a (Edited per community guidelines) please my contact  me

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

3 months ago

Like any company AT&T was to encourage any upsells, but they are not out to "scam the elderly". So if the sales rep misrepresented the service than that was their own fault.

If what you received matches the official order AT&T received that is also verifiable through their website, then submit a complaint at that store. Or file a BBB complaint as that goes to upper management. But if that is an Authorized Retailer, so not AT&T employed, then you would need to submit complaint on the 3rd party itself.

Also Terms of Service limit you to binding arbitration. Something to be aware of before you try to throw money at a lawyer.

3 Messages

3 months ago

Sorry to hear.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

3 months ago

Wow….a lot to unpack.

First off, punctuation is your friend.   🙄

Next, being “elderly” does not negate your ability to say “NO” so let’s not blame this on being a senior.  There are lots of us that can still make decisions and not regret it.  😡

There is no “senior discount”.  There is a AARP DISCOUNT for members of AARP.  Veteran? Yes.  ACP is being discontinued in April.  Plan accordingly.  

No cellphone plan is over $500 a month.  Do you have multiple lines or did you get a new phone?

Legal discussions are not allowed on these message boards.  Continuing threats of legal action will get you banned.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

3 months ago

Okay for starters what internet plan did you select. An elderly person living on their own does not need gig speed internet. 300 MB per second service is more than adequate and is $55.

Currently there is a $20 credit if you have both AT&T internet and AT&T wireless which would reduce your wireless plan to $35 a month. If you didn't know enough to ask for a particular plan of course they put you on the most expensive one they could give you.   

Cost for wireless service for three phones even on AT&T's most expensive plan does not exceed $500.

However your first bill will include activation fees, it will include installments on all of your new phones until the bill credits kick in 3 months from date of purchase.  

The AARP discount only applies to AT&T's most expensive "premium" plan.  The starter plan is significantly cheaper. Even for going the discount.  

You don't need an attorney, but you do need to talk AT&T and request that they put you on the correct plan at the correct prices. It's unlikely regular support can do that for you.

File a better business bureau complaint online. The online complaint is forwarded directly back to AT&T upper Management and someone will contact you.

Please know enough to ask for the 300 megabyte per second plan at $55, with a $20 credit. And that your three phone lines be put on the starter plan.  (See photos)

Three lines on the starter plan is 137.5  before taxes.  Plus $35 after credit for your internet plan...

You're expected bill before taxes and fees should be in the ballpark of 172.  I have not factored in ACP government payment....

ACP funds run out in April unless the government refills the coffers, there will be no $30 credit  by May 1st

10 Messages

1 month ago

My wife and I are in our seventies and she is hearing impaired.AT&T continued raise the prices so we switched to a different service back in Dec.of 2023.Since then we have been unable to CANCELL our AT&T service,they continued to charge my credit card .I cancelled the card but now they still send me monthly bills.They tell me I need to get a password from our local Traverse City,Mi.store.We been to the store on 3 different occasions.The last 4/4/2024 the manager (at least he said he was)told us we needed to buy a phone activate it for 30 days ,then we might be able to gat a PIN to shut it off.He tells us this is the only way he could help?Sound like a shake down to me,I just don,t know where to go to get help?These people are mobsters,because my can’t hear this invidule(manager)humiliated her.So Discusting.

Ben Thorington

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

1 month ago

@yu68386 File a complaint with the BBB.  Those are forwarded to the executive offices and someone should be in contact with you.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

1 month ago

@yu68386 

When you switch service providers you are supposed to be switching your phone numbers to that service provider.  If you did not switch your phone numbers then you have to call to cancel.

If your phones were not paid off you would receive a bill for the remainder of your phone installments

Your final bill is not prorated. And if you had been with AT&T for a very long time you may have been a truly billed in arrears customer.  The old billed in arrears accounts actually received their bill after service was delivered, not during the bill cycle as is done now.

10 Messages

1 month ago

This is about wi-fi service.On the surface appears to be a shake down.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

1 month ago

AT&T doesn't sell a "wi-fi service."  What do you mean when you use those words?

Keep in mind that you've replied to a thread about cellular/wireless service.

(edited)

10 Messages

1 month ago

AT&T sells a service called hot spot a motum purchased through them is required.It starts out at about $100.00 a month.

Regards,

Ben

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.