For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
robertselizabeth1966's profile

3 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2024 11:37 PM

AT&T customer support failure enabled worsened breach

25-year AT&T wireless customer here - I was pickpocketed of my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G phone March 27 in Modesto, CA as I stopped for a bite to treat my diabetes glucose event. They immediately changed all passwords, locking me out and accessing all bank apps, identity information, email and payment apps. They immediately changed my AT&T cellphone provider password as well. Shortly after, I called AT&T customer support and spent 45 minutes, 47 seconds on the phone with an AT&T support representative. They said they could not wipe the phone remotely but they assured me the account on the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G was suspended, and that they would mail me a SIM card with all my account information so that I could place it into my previous AT&T phone. During this time, he spent more time trying to sell me a new phone than explaining the next steps.

Two days later, on March 29, I went into the AT&T store in Modesto, to have that mailed SIM card added to my previous phone. I explained to a staff representative and he examined the SIM card and said not only had it NOT been activated with my account information, he said the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G phone and account had NOT been suspended and had been in use the entire time after I had immediately reported it stolen to AT&T. This egregious breach in customer service enabled the hacker thief to fraudulently charge $4,328.84 to various accounts linked on the phone, hack and change all of my email and bank accounts, access and lock me out of my Google Wallet, as well as all my medical apps that enabled me to monitor my diabetes and cardiac health. It enabled him to access all my personal data, contacts, apps, and more. Thanks to the customer service rep at the Modesto store, who got me a whole new SIM card and installed it on a previous phone, I have since regained access to the phone number but none of the other critical email accounts I need, as they were recovery for each other. I have filed local, state and federal theft and hacking and credit alert reports.

I am hoping that AT&T will replace the stolen Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G free of charge so I can reinstall and gain access to my medical monitoring apps; and that you investigate the cause of the AT&T phone support representative NOT suspending the account on my original phone and activating the SIM to remove my data from it after I reported it stolen. I have no desire to escalate beyond these two requests at this time but it was only the failure on support’s part to turn off the phone that the damage became so extensive. Can you help or direct me to the correct department to go for help? I can provide police report numbers and other documentation.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

@robertselizabeth1966 I doubt if AT&T will replace your phone for free because it was not their fault that it was stolen. I thought that Android had a feature like iPhones that you could lock remotely and even erase if need be. Being as your ID was used fraudulently, we're assuming you did the following:

1. File a police report for identity theft.

2. File a fraud report with AT&T.

3. Notify your credit card companies.

4. Change all of your passwords on ALL of your accounts using strong passwords which are different from each other.

5. Dispute any charges that you don't recognize.

6. Start monitoring all of your accounts on a weekly basis for any suspicious activity.

7. Change your email to a new account and provider. Gmail is ok but I'd look for a separate email service for at least your important accounts.

1 month ago

Thanks, did do those listed items, thanks. My only issue with AT&T is I immediately called AT&T customer support and spent 45 minutes, 47 seconds on the phone with an AT&T support representative. They assured me the account was suspended, and that they would mail me a SIM card with all my account information. Not only did they NOT suspend service until 2 days later when I went into the store, the SIM card was blank - all the original data was left on the original stolen phone. So while it was not their fault it was stolen, it WAS their fault the service was not suspended as they assured me it was. The rep also said they could NOT erase the data remotely. Whether that is true or not, not sure, but that is what he said. We definitely will sign up for the find My Phone feature in the future. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

You can always file on online complaint with the BBB. They will forward it to AT&T Upper Management and someone from the Office of the President will contact. Not sure what they can do but you can at least discuss your displeasure with the way Support handled your issue directly with a Senior Manager.

Don't know about Android but the Find My Phone feature with Apple is automatic as long as you have an AppleID account.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

1 month ago

AT&T cannot remote wipe phones.  I don’t know if Android has similar remote wipe features like iPhones, but that would be a service through the manufacturer or Google, and you would have had to set it up on your own.  AT&T doesn’t have that service or capability.  Regarding SIMs, SIMs only have account info on them.  They don’t store contacts, texts, or other things.  All any replacement SIM will have on it is your phone number and account info, because that’s all AT&T has.  Any backup of data on your lost phone would have been your responsibility.  Did your phone not have a screen lock?  Whether the service was suspended or not, they wouldn’t have been able to do anything with your phone if they hadn’t been able to get into it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

1 month ago

Did your phone not have a screen lock?  Whether the service was suspended or not, they wouldn’t have been able to do anything with your phone if they hadn’t been able to get into it.

This all day ⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 month ago

Flagging @ATTMobilityCare for assistance. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

@robertselizabeth1966 I doubt if AT&T is going to be of much help. If your phone was stolen, and you didn't screen lock as mentioned, that's on you. Filing the BBB complaint is your best bet to talk directly with Senior Management because they are going to be the only ones who can help, if there is anything to do.

Did you read and understand what @dwill05 posted?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.